Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
I assume I need the following:
  • macOS Sierra
  • iOS 10
  • watchOS 3
Any idea if it works over BT LE or wifi? I'm not sure if my (ancient) 2011 MBP will be able to use it, or if I need my newer Air?

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
I would assume that it works like handoff over BT LE, as that is what can actually detect if the watch is near the computer or not.

I just hope the new MBPs will be out by the time macOS Sierra is released so I can use the great new features.

Reactions: xxanderxu

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
That's fine it doesn't work. I don't mind throwing a Mac or iPad at the beta wolves, but since I can't roll back a Watch I'll wait until release.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
I would assume that it works like handoff over BT LE, as that is what can actually detect if the watch is near the computer or not.

I just hope the new MBPs will be out by the time macOS Sierra is released so I can use the great new features.

You would be able to use these "great new features" with the current lineup of macs.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I assume I need the following:
  • macOS Sierra
  • iOS 10
  • watchOS 3
Any idea if it works over BT LE or wifi? I'm not sure if my (ancient) 2011 MBP will be able to use it, or if I need my newer Air?
Really you won't know until launch in September/October.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Does anyone have a clue why the watch can unlock a Mac but an iPhone can't? Is there a hardware reason or is it just Apple deciding how it should be to give another reason to buy the watch? If TouchID on an iPhone is acceptable for Apple Pay then I can't see why it couldn't also be used to unlock your computer. Possibly iPhone 7 will address this as I'm not really likely to justify buying a watch just to unlock my Mac. The only benefit of the watch is that you have the security of knowing that its attached to the user's arm, but surely the fingerprint on an iPhone is enough?

Andropov

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
Spain
Does anyone have a clue why the watch can unlock a Mac but an iPhone can't? Is there a hardware reason or is it just Apple deciding how it should be to give another reason to buy the watch? If TouchID on an iPhone is acceptable for Apple Pay then I can't see why it couldn't also be used to unlock your computer. Possibly iPhone 7 will address this as I'm not really likely to justify buying a watch just to unlock my Mac. The only benefit of the watch is that you have the security of knowing that its attached to the user's arm, but surely the fingerprint on an iPhone is enough?

I think it's more about the time you spend getting the iPhone out of your pocket and scanning your fingerprint would be about the same as typing the password so there's no real benefit from it. I doubt the iPhone 7 will change any of this.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I think it's more about the time you spend getting the iPhone out of your pocket and scanning your fingerprint would be about the same as typing the password so there's no real benefit from it. I doubt the iPhone 7 will change any of this.

Point taken but I don't always have my phone in my pocket when in the house anyway, its often next to my iMac's keyboard.. especially if its needed to make an Apple Pay purchase!

WiseAJ

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
You would be able to use these "great new features" with the current lineup of macs.

I realize that, but I am not going to invest a couple thousand dollars to purchase last years computer when an update is overdue.
[doublepost=1465924673][/doublepost]

What they mentioned in the keynote is that the watch on your wrist has already authenticated that you are an authorized user. I'm assuming that it will require matching iCloud accounts between the watch/phone and the user account on the computer.

Reactions: Moccasin

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Does anyone know if there is a wifi replacement card that does work with auto-unlock for the 2011 MBP?

Tronic

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2009
Anyone think there will be a work around to the requirement that the AW have a passcode enabled? The last thing I want to do is put a passcode on my AW.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Anyone think there will be a work around to the requirement that the AW have a passcode enabled? The last thing I want to do is put a passcode on my AW.

Considering that would effectively remove all security from the login, I can't see it being remotely allowed without the watch being jailbroken at the very least.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
2 reasons why apple allows only the watch to unlock your mac

the watch is really well suited for this since it needs to be worn on your wrist for it to paired, i assume. if you merely just position an unworn watch next to your mac and try to get it to unlock your mac i don't think it would be so secure.

apple wants to sell iWatches

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Does anyone know if there is a wifi replacement card that does work with auto-unlock for the 2011 MBP?
Your 2011 MBP is on the supported devices list - it should work fine (my 4,1 MBP from 2008 however, I'm going to have to tweak a bit).

I was curious about the "2013 Mac or newer" bit. When I check the specs on the 2014 vs 2012 Mac Mini's, they both have BT 4.0 - NOT LE. (now, BT LE will downwardly support BT 4.0, so it should be fine).

Anyone have any idea why they're saying 2013 or newer for this feature? (only delta I saw was that the 2014 Mini had 802.11AC). Is that a requirement for this feature? (if so, we should be able to get USB cards that support 802.11AC)

Edit: And (just checked) how can they make that a requirement when the watch only supports 802.11b/g/n??

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Forcing you to upgrade...it's a real scummy move on Apple's part. I personally have a 2012 Retina which should be support but isn't. I upgraded my wireless card to AC which enabled it. Like you said though...it shouldn't make a difference.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
Anyone else with a similar era macbook with an ExpressCard/34 slot, this is what I'm going to do to try to get this feature enabled on my 4,1 MacBook Pro (2008). (Canadian links - sorry to the yanks - I'm sure you can find these parts way cheaper) :)
GMYLE(TM) ExpressCard 34/54 to USB3.0:
https://www.amazon.ca/ExpressCard-USB3-0-Express-Adapter-Windows/dp/B004649V8I
EDIMAX EW-7711MAC AC450 Nano USB Wi-Fi Adapter for MacBook:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315138
IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Multi-Language Version Micro Adapter (GBU521W6):
https://www.amazon.ca/Bluetooth-Multi-Language-Version-Adapter-GBU521W6/dp/B007ZT2AXE

Yes, yes, I'm just a stubborn bugger for not letting my MBP ride off into the sunset, but it still runs great (the SSD helps) :), so what you gonna do?

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
Please be aware that it doesn't work if Back To My Mac is enabled in iCloud Settings. Just discovered myself after I turned it on and the unlock stopped working!

You know you only have to input a 4 digit code once every time you put it on, not every time you wake it, right? Not that much hassle.

mbern1008

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
I've been unable to unlock my MacBook Air with no problem after installing Sierra. A week later I finally upgraded my iMac but was unable to unlock it until I turned of the feature on my air. Does anyone know if it's possible to unlock two Macs with one watch?

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 17, 2008
Your 2011 MBP is on the supported devices list - it should work fine (my 4,1 MBP from 2008 however, I'm going to have to tweak a bit).

I was curious about the "2013 Mac or newer" bit. When I check the specs on the 2014 vs 2012 Mac Mini's, they both have BT 4.0 - NOT LE. (now, BT LE will downwardly support BT 4.0, so it should be fine).

Anyone have any idea why they're saying 2013 or newer for this feature? (only delta I saw was that the 2014 Mini had 802.11AC). Is that a requirement for this feature? (if so, we should be able to get USB cards that support 802.11AC)

Edit: And (just checked) how can they make that a requirement when the watch only supports 802.11b/g/n??
Actually, the 2011 isn't on the supported devices for Auto Unlock.

If I had a 2012 MBP, I could get the replacement card linked and it would work fine. I have found no such replacement card for a 2011 MBP, I don't know that I want one of my USB ports taken up by a USB wifi card either.

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
You know you only have to input a 4 digit code once every time you put it on, not every time you wake it, right? Not that much hassle.
Also, you don't even need to put it in, if you have a paired iPhone with TouchID. Just put the watch on your wrist first, then unlock the iPhone.

Also, pretty sure the banks have made it a hard requirement that you have to have a pin on your Apple Watch if you want to use it for Apple Pay. Maybe you don't (@Tronic), but I find that pretty handy to not have to pull out either my phone or wallet.

Last edited:

mbern1008

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2013
I've been unable to unlock my MacBook Air with no problem after installing Sierra. A week later I finally upgraded my iMac but was unable to unlock it until I turned of the feature on my air. Does anyone know if it's possible to unlock two Macs with one watch?

fischersd

macrumors 603
Oct 23, 2014
Port Moody, BC, Canada
@mbern1008 I think from the lack of response that it's fair to say that no-one knows if Apple's supporting multiple macs. Maybe this is a bug, maybe it's intended behaviour. I'm hoping the former (as I have two myself that I'd like to be able to use this feature with).
Why not submit it as a bug via the feedback mechanism and see what you get back from support?

Reactions: mbern1008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.