Unlock with Touch ID not always showing after sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richard13, Feb 26, 2017.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I just got a new 2016 13" tbMBP, and for the most part, I am pretty happy with it. However I notice that sometimes after sleep or screen power off that the message "Unlock with Touch ID" with the arrow to the button does not show up on the touch bar. There are other buttons on the touch bar left of this but the part of the touch bar where the message is supposed to come up is blank.

Anyone else see this? Is this normal/a known bug?

I also noticed that the keyboard has some uneven lighting on some keys. For instance, the bottom part of the ? key is darker than the top. Similarly, the command keys both have this in the upper corner where the squiggly is.

Maybe this stuff is known and normal?

Thanks!

2. SilverVito macrumors newbie

My 2016 15" randomly does not show "Unlock with Touch ID", in fact very rarely does this appear.
    It used to show all the time, hopefully it is a bug that will be sorted out.
    There has been a post on this subject a week or two ago, you are not alone on this issue!

As for an even lighting of the keys, both the command keys on mine are dimmer in the corners.
    I would assume this is normal.

Hope this puts your mind at rest.

3. richard13, Feb 26, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017

richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for your reply SilverVito!

I appreciate your chiming in and it is good to know I am not alone. After I posted this question I decided to do a little poking around. I recalled that a couple times my screen would go blank and I thought I had to unlock the MBP again but was surprised that the system wasn't actually locked. So I checked System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and found "Require password 5 minutes after sleep or screen saver begins". Apparently this is the new default setting as I hadn't made any changes since I got the computer. Anyway, I set this to 'immediately" as this is how I have it set on my iMac and my old MBP. This should solve the blank screen but not locked problem and may resolve this new issue. Logically I would think it would but we'll see.

Also, thanks for letting me know your keyboard has the same uneven lighting. I thought this issue was probably normal but good to get that confirmation from someone else.