Unlock without restoring...which method to use? Redsn0w or SAM ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rak007, Sep 20, 2012.

1. rak007 macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 4S that came in mail today. I had applied for unlock and the phone is unlocked now as per the IMEI checkers and the seller. Now i wish to get the unlock applied to the phone and i do not wish to restore it.
    What i plan to do is to insert a tmobile SIM and connect phone to iTunes and expect Congrats message.

But in the event the message does not come or i feel the unlock on device has not yet happened, what method i should use to get the message ?

One method i got is from the following link...

Here's How To Unlock Your AT&T iPhone Without Losing Jailbreak | Redmond Pie

This method uses Redsn0w to deactivate the phone and then activate using iTunes.

Another method i found is from the following link..

http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-...ct-iphones-3g-3gs-4-4s-without-restoring.html

This involves jailbreaking the phone (if not already JBken) and install SAM to deactivate the phone and then activate using iTunes.

Which method is preferable ? Or there is no difference and i can use any of these ?

2. THX723 macrumors member

The 2nd method (from ModMyi) works brilliantly and won't take more than a few seconds.

3. rak007 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luckily i did not have to do anything. Popped in the SIM and connected to iTunes and got the congrats message when connected phone to iTunes.