Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petermac24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
bakersfield, ca
i have a 2.2.1 unlocked 2g through quickpwn. i just updated to 3.0 through itunes. it became locked up. i dfu'ed it and tried to restore (option+restore) to 2.2.1 again and i get a 1600 error. i downloaded 2g 3.0 GM and tried updating it a few days ago but it kept on locking my phone. but the dfu restore always worked. but now it doesn't? i guess i have to wait until the team releases a 3.0 supported quickpwn update for the 2g. i heard it was sometime today?

update: i tried restoring it in recovery mode and i get an error 20. blah

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Yeah, I think you should wait on further action until the iPhone dev team releases an official jailbreak and unlock.

Even though it may seem like your phone is bricked right now, the official release later should fix it.

petermac24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
bakersfield, ca
oh i don't think it's bricked haha. the teams thing for the 2g should come out fast right? like today fast? if not i will have to use a razr until it comes out. -__-

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
oh i don't think it's bricked haha. the teams thing for the 2g should come out fast right? like today fast? if not i will have to use a razr until it comes out. -__-

see it from the bridesight, after using the razr for a day u'll appreciate the iphone a lot more :D

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
You probably just need to remove itunes 8.2 completely and re-install the previous version, followed by pwnage (not quickpwn) and restore. Try that and see how that works. As I understand it, Pwnage and quickpwn are not compatible with itunes 8.2...yet. So you need to go back to the previous version before trying to downgrade. Also, if you upgraded to itunes 8.2, your library will not be compatible with the old version - just move it to the desktop for now and you can put it back later, once you've restored to 2.2 with pwnage, updated itunes back to 8.2 UPGRADED (not restore) to 3.0 again.

petermac24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
bakersfield, ca
oh that might be what i did wrong. i've been restoring my phone to 2.2.1 with itunes 8.2 before getting the errors. but quickpwn still unlocks it. but i'll try that. thanks

mak10

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
so from what I've been reading, if I have iTunes 8.1, I used pwnage (not quickpwn) originally, and it's a 2G iPhone, I can just do the normal update (or option+update) and just update the firmware that way and I should still retain the unlock and activation correct?

I have no problem just doing it, as my 3G S should be here Friday in case I mess something up, but I'd rather not try if it's 100% going to leave me out cold for 2 days

Obviously I'll lose the jailbreak which I don't care about, it's just the unlock I need to continue to use my original AT&T Wireless plan (cingular blue) for the next couple days until I finally migrate over to AT&T

benmurphy66

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2008
so from what I've been reading, if I have iTunes 8.1, I used pwnage (not quickpwn) originally, and it's a 2G iPhone, I can just do the normal update (or option+update) and just update the firmware that way and I should still retain the unlock and activation correct?

I have no problem just doing it, as my 3G S should be here Friday in case I mess something up, but I'd rather not try if it's 100% going to leave me out cold for 2 days

Obviously I'll lose the jailbreak which I don't care about, it's just the unlock I need to continue to use my original AT&T Wireless plan (cingular blue) for the next couple days until I finally migrate over to AT&T

I am trying to find out if this will work too. can't find much about the unlock for 2G iPhone. All focused on 3G

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005

If your phone is unlocked/activated/jailbroken with pwnage, all you need to do is update itunes to the latest version 8.2. and then use the normal update function to update to 3.0. You can't update to 3.0 from the previous itunes version and should only use that version if you need to pwnage again. Pwnage doesn't work with 8.2.

There's always a risk of something going wrong, but I've found from this time and the past that pretty much everything can be resolved with enough patience...especially now that we don't have to worry about baseband update as we did in the beginning. I would go for it.

Boothy

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
If your phone is unlocked/activated/jailbroken with pwnage, all you need to do is update itunes to the latest version 8.2. and then use the normal update function to update to 3.0. You can't update to 3.0 from the previous itunes version and should only use that version if you need to pwnage again. Pwnage doesn't work with 8.2.

There's always a risk of something going wrong, but I've found from this time and the past that pretty much everything can be resolved with enough patience...especially now that we don't have to worry about baseband update as we did in the beginning. I would go for it.

can confirm success,had a jalibroken/unlocked 2g via pwnage,updated through itunes as normal with no issues so far

mak10

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009

everything worked fine, only thing is my EDGE internet doesnt work haha. I know when I first unlocked/jailbroke the phone the first time I had to SFTP in and edit a file in order to get EDGE to work with the old AT&T Wireless settings, but now I can't SSH or SFTP in to get at those files... haha oh well

iag48

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
@Boothy,

I too have been contemplating upgrading my 2g Iphone to 3.0. I unlocked, JB with Pwnage.
So just plug in my iphone and click update on itunes 8.2? Simple as that?

truciet

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2008
if you want to downgrade...

DFU mode then use firmware 2.2...NOT 2.2.1...

it will error out and reboot to recovery mode...

when its in recovery mode...use quickpwn 2.2.1 and follow the instructions and it will activate it and you're set!

now DFU mode again and restore to 2.2.1 and everything will be back to normal...you can activate with itunes like normal or jailbreak ;)

michael.lauden

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2008

i don't think it's anything to worry about.

many different sources state you are fine to upgrade (including the dev team).

i had an unlocked+jailbroken 2G on 2.2.1 and upgraded to 3.0 via iTunes with no problems whatsoever

iag48

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2008
Alright, here goes nothing....Starting the update. Any last words of advice?

Boothy

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2008
@Boothy,

I too have been contemplating upgrading my 2g Iphone to 3.0. I unlocked, JB with Pwnage.
So just plug in my iphone and click update on itunes 8.2? Simple as that?

simple as that,worked without a hitch,you tube is the only thing that appears not to be working,but for me not an issue

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
i don't think it's anything to worry about.

many different sources state you are fine to upgrade (including the dev team).

i had an unlocked+jailbroken 2G on 2.2.1 and upgraded to 3.0 via iTunes with no problems whatsoever

Yeah but now you arent jailbroken anymore right? Im still using 2.2 , unlocked and JB and havent updated to 8.2 yet.

EDIT* Hec my itunes doesnt even tell me 3.0 is available. Says i can upgrade to 2.2.1 that is availble. Do i have to get 8.2 to get the 3.0?

I just dont want to upgrade anything til im sure i can re jailbreak my phone after i upgrade it. I may have to wait til the dev team does its thing.

mak10

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2009
Yeah but now you arent jailbroken anymore right? Im still using 2.2 , unlocked and JB and havent updated to 8.2 yet.

EDIT* Hec my itunes doesnt even tell me 3.0 is available. Says i can upgrade to 2.2.1 that is availble. Do i have to get 8.2 to get the 3.0?

I just dont want to upgrade anything til im sure i can re jailbreak my phone after i upgrade it. I may have to wait til the dev team does its thing.

yeah, you have to update to 8.2 to see the 3.0 update, I got the same message on mine that was running iTunes 8.1 (latest iPhone version 2.2.1)

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
yeah, you have to update to 8.2 to see the 3.0 update, I got the same message on mine that was running iTunes 8.1 (latest iPhone version 2.2.1)

Hmm, ok but for some reason when i try to do anything on my itunes it says my network has timed out or im not connected when i know i am. I signed out and now cant sign back in because of it.
Dont know what that is all about. Ive always been able to do my updates of my apps from my phone by signing in thru my wi-fi at home.
It never told me that 8.2 was available to just click on it to update.

petermac24

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 1, 2009
bakersfield, ca
i did it! i followed what mak10 said.

deleted itunes 8.2 completely.
installed itunes 8.1.1. (piratebay.org torrent)
dfu'ed and restored (i dont know if i needed to restore it first before i pwnaged it but i did anyways) to 2.2.
created a custom fw with pwnagetool.
restored with the custom fw.
then i updated itunes back to 8.2.
option+update to 3.0.

i think the problem was i restored the 2.2.1 with 8.2 a few weeks ago and that screwed with everything.

thanks everyone!

Bonafidde

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Im confused guys. If i update my 2g iphone that is unlocked running 2.2 fw right now to 3.0 will it still be unlocked?

Seems that you guys are saying it will, but i am not sure

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Im confused guys. If i update my 2g iphone that is unlocked running 2.2 fw right now to 3.0 will it still be unlocked?

Seems that you guys are saying it will, but i am not sure

Seems to me they are saying it depends on how you unlocked it. I figured out that when they say they unlocked it with pwnage, they used their Mac to do it and they assume we all did and know what that means.

I used Windows and you use quickpwn with Windows, but had to do some reasearch to figure out what they meant. I dont have a Mac. So from this i gathered if you used windows and quickpwn, dont upgrade til the dev team releases the quickpwn for it.

Bonafidde

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
Seems to me they are saying it depends on how you unlocked it. I figured out that when they say they unlocked it with pwnage, they used their Mac to do it and they assume we all did and know what that means.

I used Windows and you use quickpwn with Windows, but had to do some reasearch to figure out what they meant. I dont have a Mac. So from this i gathered if you used windows and quickpwn, dont upgrade til the dev team releases the quickpwn for it.

Thanks for the quick response man. Appreciated

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.