Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jscarf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 24, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Hey folks, if this is a repeat post, apologies, tell me so and I will delete it after my problem is resolved. I could not find an answer to my issue.

I bought my buddy's iphone 3g that he had unlocked. Now it works fine but it is a little slow and when I plug it into itunes, it still says it's his phone (Adrian's iphone). It is a:
iphone 3G 8gig
i believe bootloader is 5.09.

I would like to restore it to factory, perhaps load with custom ipsw from the net. Then re-jailbreak and re-unlock. It would then have my name on it, etc. A little silly I know, but I also wondered, it being the way it is, does it hinder me from getting the most out of it?

I am new to this whole deal, so forgive my ignorance. I am not sure if this is achievable or not. It may be too ambitious, as I have read some posts and on dev-team where there is talk of not being able to unlock the phone again.

Subsequently, would upgrading the OS to the most recent version hurt me in the midst of all this?

Thanks guys

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Plug your phone into Itunes and change the name there. When the phone is recognized by Itunes you will see the name on the left hand side. Change the name the same way you change a file name highlight it and retype new name. A sync will then change it on the phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.