Unlocked 3G = Bypass Data Plan?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yode, Jul 3, 2008.

1. yode macrumors 6502

Hi guys,
    I had a question about the 3G, when it gets unlocked, will we be able to activate a different 'dumb' phone, then put that sim into the 3G to bypass the data plan? Because I know if you have t-mobile, you can just stick your sim in and have no data plan. 2nd question: Is there a way to block 3G/Edge data but not WiFi? 3rd question: Can data be used if you don't have a data plan? ie. charging by kb/mb. (This is on at&t btw) Thanks guys. Sorry if these have been answered somewhere, I tried searching.

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

so you want to stay on ATT but not use any data?

you might as well move to T-mobile, you'll get more minutes, but yes i don't see how that wouldn't work, unlocked is unlocked. and that implies that it is fully functional. there is no need to block 3G or Edge, if your sim doesn't have the service enabled, you won't get the service, carriers can't try to trap people into hidden charges that way by allowing them to accidentally access data when they have no data plan and then charge them on the back end on the next bill, you have to select the service upfront to be able to use it, otherwise it is disabled until you select it from them

3. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

if you are going to try to unlock it maybe you should just use the iphone 3G with the $15 unlimited mediamax data plan. unlimited data for half the price. ;) whether or not AT&T will catch you doing it and force you onto the correct plan is another story.

4. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea I'm actually debating the t-mobile vs at&t thing, but with at&t we get a FAN discount. Also I heard the coverage for at&t is better than t-mobile where I am (Los Angeles). Anyone else in the LA area care to chime on this?

Does this include e-mail and the like or just Data/browsing?

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

what do you mean? email uses data. the $15 mediamax plan will give you unlimited data.

6. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

oh so i can get push also with exchange? nice... well I guess that's what my plan will be once i get it unlocked.

7. tritonj macrumors 6502a

i currently use T-Mobile in both the LA and San Diego areas, no problems either way, same with ATT, i've never had a place that had coverage for one and not the other.

and data is just data, doesn't matter what kind.

as for your discount, you may want to do the math and figure out if it is worth it to you to be on ATT with slightly higher rates over Tmobile at lower rates, especially if you aren't utilizing the data plan from ATT

8. yode thread starter macrumors 6502

Well now that I think about it I might try that 15 dollar mediamax loophole, but basically we need a 6000 minute family plan which is 299 on at&t but with my discount it goes down to 260 +30 for 3 more lines. on t-mobile, they do not have a 6000 plan but an unlimited which will be 300 if 5 lines are added. We would also add the 30 dollar unlimited texting family plan from at&t which will be discounted as well (i think?). How much is t-mobiles family unlimited texting plan?