unlocked 3G iPhone in Hongkong for $900

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by powermac_daddy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. powermac_daddy macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

You can buy unlocked 3G iPhone in Hongkong for about $900 +.
    That's it. Really, Apple and ATT cannot do much about that. By the way, you can unlock your 3G in San Jose for $30. I am out.

2. powermac_daddy thread starter macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

btw, i have a unlock 3G right in front of me. it was from Hongkong... a present from a close friend.

3. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

How exactly can you unlock our 3G for $30?

There is no unlock at this point. The ones in HK/Asia are factory unlocked.

4. powermac_daddy thread starter macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

i know people will bring up this...

5. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

I don't understand what you just said.

6. SlapMonkey macrumors regular

Actually, there's been quite a few people getting what they thought were unlocked iPhones from Hong Kong, turned out they were fakes; not actual iPhones.

Show us a picture of your so-called unlocked iPhone (a picture of the actual home screen unlocked) otherwise, this is bs.

7. illutionz macrumors 65816

Actually my friend is at home (in HK) right now and he did purchase iPhone 3G... yes it's factory unlocked and he can stick any other SIM (not only Hutchinson 3 network).

But when you say that there's a vendor can unlock it for $30 it's kind of hard to believe because there is no unlock solution as of now unless you are willing to buy that pseudo-turbosim thing from the Brazilian guy.

then again it's stupid to get the iPhone 3G unlocked if you want to use it with tmobile (unless you are very rich) because the 3G network won't work anyway...

8. mofei1 macrumors regular

$900!!?? i take it you guys are talking about US dollars not HK dollars?

9. watergun macrumors regular

LOL. It is definitely not that cheap and for sure we have a real genuine official Apple iPhone 3G here. Look here for the official handset + 2yr contract pricing:

http://iphone.three.com.hk/website/en/iplan.html

As much as I dont like the 3 network, I did sign up a new number just to get the iPhone.

You can also buy the iPhone 3G without contract for a premium (not from the official 3 shops tho). It goes for around HK$9800~US$1260 the past few days. FYI US$1 ~ HK$7.8 so do the calculation yourself.

It is officially unlocked. I managed to use simcard from different networks without any problems at all including restoring and re-activating the phone from iTunes.

10. powermac_daddy thread starter macrumors 6502

powermac_daddy

did you read my location? yes... Over $900 USD.

11. kyen1 macrumors member

Where from? Any shops actually have the units on hand for sale? I have only seen some shops in Mongkok taking orders which is bs. Nobody knows when they will have it in stock and they're charging ridiculous prices of HK$10K+.

No way I'm giving these effing triads money without merchandise and certainly not at those laughable prices.

12. Cockroach macrumors 6502

My sister works in HK and she told me that when she asked in the shop (not sure which shop, presumably 3HK) that the 8GB iPhone 3G was 7200 HKD without a contract.

13. iCantwait macrumors 65816

iCantwait

AU$909 in Aus:rolleyes: for 16gb.

NO, i will not sell you one unless you are willing to pay AU$1400. thats ebays rate and i think a MR member has more cheaper ways of getting an iPhone

14. illutionz macrumors 65816

kind of pointless getting an unlocked iPhone 3G for use in the United States anyway... the Tmobile 3G is not even rolling full steam and even when it is, the frequency is different and the iPhone 3G doesn't work ;)

I'd rather get in contract with AT&T and unlock my phone via PwnageTool for use when I'm travelling :p but again, to use it full-time on tmobile network is stupid... Better to get the 2G iPhone unlocked :cool:

15. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Too bad powermac daddy ignored you...

I am with you an screen shot or is BS

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

PowerMac Daddy starts a lot of threads that don't deliver. ;)

Best way to get an unlocked iPhone is through an Australian friend. ;)

17. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Actually ebay prices dropped to AUD $950-1100 and yes talking about the ones coming from Aus, you can check them yourself...

18. Cockroach macrumors 6502

I found out that this was the shop, though it doesn't mention the iphone on
    the website.

http://www.skyphoto.com.hk/en_index.htm

19. ryanmanu macrumors regular

just because the dev team hasnt made a 3G unlock doesnt mean there isnt one, people need to start realising that the dev team arnt the only iphone hackers, there are others and just coz u aint heard of them doesnt mean they are rubbish, there are ways to unlock the 3G iphone but the people who make them charge for them unlike the dev team

20. watergun macrumors regular

I think you got some incorrect information there. First, 3HK will not sell iPhone without contract. Second, the street price (not from 3HK shops) for 8GB is 8800HKD as of today.

21. watergun macrumors regular

There is a building called Sin Tat Plaza in Mongkok area. They have many shops selling iPhone. Yes, they have them in stock. 16GB is 9800 HKD and 8GB is 8800 HKD as of today.

Or, if you have some local friends, you can ask them to buy from 3HK shop for you. Total price for iPhone + 2 yr contract (cheapest one ofc) is 8098 HKD (8GB) and 8898 HKD (16GB). 3HK seems to have plenty of iPhones in stock.

22. watergun macrumors regular

Some pics from the launch day in which 3HK purposedly release 500 units only. According to the local newspaper, 60000 people registered online to enter this lucky draw. Too bad, I didnt get it. I got mine on the 2nd day tho so no complain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first guy in HK to own the iPhone 3G

[​IMG]

The treasure is coming...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

yay eprice logos?

24. imacdaddy macrumors 6502a

Here it is. Screen shot of my iPhone 3G using SmarTone-Vodafone.

[​IMG]

Why is it unlocked? Because in HK you can port over your number to any carrier...your number stays with you as long as you like and with whom ever you like. So while you switch to a new carrier and you chose to keep your old number, it takes about 5-7 days for your existing contract to terminate and transfer (port) over your number to the new carrier. All is done by the new carrier. So during this time, you use your current SIM card until the date it expires, then you use the new SIM provided by the new carrier.

This is what happened to me when I signed up so I was shocked to learn it was unlocked and when you connect it to iTunes for the 1st time using the non-exclusive carrier, iTunes automatically detects the SIM and downloaded the carriers info...in my case SmarTone Vodafone. Besides, phones are not allowed to be locked to a carrier in Hong Kong even though 3HK has exclusivity on the iPhones. Anyway, I switched to 3HK today and the browsing IS faster than SmarTone-Vodafone in case anyone is interested to know and the battery life seems better? :confused:

25. Cockroach macrumors 6502

As I mentioned, this was shop: http://www.skyphoto.com.hk/en_index.htm

I think it is 7450 (188*24 = 4512 + 2938).