unlocked 3G iphones 3g use?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by darthdarragh, Jun 9, 2008.

1. darthdarragh macrumors newbie

when you manage to jail break the new 3g iphone will you be able to take advantage of the 3G internet?
    cheers

2. witchdrash macrumors member

Yes it's just the transmission it uses to talk to the network, it's no different to GPRS or Edge in that respect, if it can be unlocked 3G will almost definitely work just fine, however we have to see what barriers Apple have built into it first, might be quite a while before we see an unlock, may be a couple of days.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It will sadly take more than a few days to jailbreak/unlock 3G iPhones with 2.0, as you are forced into setting up your contract when you purchase. This means that all purchasers will have to pony up more just to get it alone on a network.

The current iPhone 2.0 software shouldn't take more than a week to do.

4. witchdrash macrumors member

I know it probably will, but until those guys get their hands on it we don't know, personally I'm not that fussed I will put up with O2 for the handset, prefer it on T-Mobile, but I'll cope if they can't unlock.

5. mhuk01 macrumors 6502

o2 have anounced a pay as you go 3g iphone. i'm sure they're not the only ones. The 3g iphone will be unlocked!

6. witchdrash macrumors member

Pay as you go doesn't mean unlocked, just means no contract required, almost every PayG handset bought from network is locked.

7. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

yes buy it as pay as you go then bin the sim

unlock and use whatever you want

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

So the price for unlockers will be $199 for iphone, $39 + $30 for first month of the required 2 year plan, $200 for early plan termination with AT&T. Total = $469