Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hello Everyone-

I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB White that is currently out of warranty and exhibiting some symptoms of a battery with poor health. I'm positive it is the battery and would like to do an out of warranty exchange at the apple store.Finding a friend that has AT&T to do the swap is not an issue, however;
Here are my issues-

The iPhone is currently unlocked @ 4.0.0 because I use T-Mobile in the United States. I DO NOT want to lose the unlock as this is my only phone.
If I get an exchanged iPhone with the newest OS revision, am I out of luck?
I last used jalibreakme.com and ultrasn0w to unlock, can I go about this route once more?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did an mroogle but nothing that fit this exact situation came up that I could see.
I am not very involved in the unlocking world, I just do it when the news is out and stick with it. Please, enlighten me on how to proceed.
Thank you very much for your help and time. It is much appreciated.

-Matt

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Hello Everyone-

I have an iPhone 3GS 32GB White that is currently out of warranty and exhibiting some symptoms of a battery with poor health. I'm positive it is the battery and would like to do an out of warranty exchange at the apple store.Finding a friend that has AT&T to do the swap is not an issue, however;
Here are my issues-

The iPhone is currently unlocked @ 4.0.0 because I use T-Mobile in the United States. I DO NOT want to lose the unlock as this is my only phone.
If I get an exchanged iPhone with the newest OS revision, am I out of luck?
I last used jalibreakme.com and ultrasn0w to unlock, can I go about this route once more?

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I did an mroogle but nothing that fit this exact situation came up that I could see.
I am not very involved in the unlocking world, I just do it when the news is out and stick with it. Please, enlighten me on how to proceed.
Thank you very much for your help and time. It is much appreciated.

-Matt

The answer is very simple. If you get a phone from apple that has 5.13 baseband you can unlock it. If you get one with 5.14 you cannot.

We expect an unlock for 5.14 to be available soon after the final release of 4.2 which is set for November. If you delay the swop out you will be in good shape no matter what you get.

Keep following Dev team blog.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.