Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
THE ISSUE:
I'm unable to take an unlocked A1661 iPhone 7 Plus to Verizon. It was originally on Sprint. However it's been unlocked (I stuck a T-Mobile SIM card in it to verify). It's also paid off.

Verizon's BYOD states it's 'not compatible.' Their people say it 'lacks a frequency' used on Verizon. The latter explanation doesn't hold water with me. Both Sprint and Verizon sell the model A1661 iPhone Plus. It's simply a matter of whether it's locked to their network or not. Verizon's are unlocked out of the box. Sprint's are locked but I've since had it unlocked s-- so technically shouldn't the phone now be the same? Also, it's not black-listed and is 'clear' according to SWAPPA's ESN check.

Is it a matter of whether it's "white" listed in the Verizon system? And if so, is there any chance of getting it 'white' listed? And how?

Thanks for helping me understand!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
THE ISSUE:
I'm unable to take an unlocked A1661 iPhone 7 Plus to Verizon. It was originally on Sprint. However it's been unlocked (I stuck a T-Mobile SIM card in it to verify). It's also paid off.

Verizon's BYOD states it's 'not compatible.' Their people say it 'lacks a frequency' used on Verizon. The latter explanation doesn't hold water with me. Both Sprint and Verizon sell the model A1661 iPhone Plus. It's simply a matter of whether it's locked to their network or not. Verizon's are unlocked out of the box. Sprint's are locked but I've since had it unlocked s-- so technically shouldn't the phone now be the same? Also, it's not black-listed and is 'clear' according to SWAPPA's ESN check.

Is it a matter of whether it's "white" listed in the Verizon system? And if so, is there any chance of getting it 'white' listed? And how?

Thanks for helping me understand!
It's a matter of Verizon's policy.

Historically, they will refuse to activate any device not sold by them or originally intended to be used on their network. Getting them to whitelist the IMEI will be next to impossible.

Here's the workaround. Find an already activated Verizon SIM and stick that SIM in your phone.

It may mean buying some crappy, burner Verizon phone (and selling it later) but once the SIM is activated you can use in your iPhone.

Reactions: iApple_man

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
From what I just read the A1661 model is compatible with Sprint, Verizon, and China but not T-Mobile and AT&T. Are you sure you have an A1661?

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
From what I just read the A1661 model is compatible with Sprint, Verizon, and China but not T-Mobile and AT&T. Are you sure you have an A1661?
Technically incorrect. Sim-free model/Verizon model will work on T-mobile and Att as well. It's the other way around. The att/T-Mobile model will not work on sprint or Verizon because of the Intel Chip. Verizon/Sprint/Sim-free model have Qualcomm.

I can't speak for sprint because I have not used their service. But if OP stated it worked on T-mobile after unlocking it then it proves that it's unlocked and works. It's just the Verizon policy as stated above.

Last edited:

mcalict

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013

Yes - that's what it says on the back of the phone! :)
[doublepost=1493862755][/doublepost]N
It's a matter of Verizon's policy.

Historically, they will refuse to activate any device not sold by them or originally intended to be used on their network. Getting them to whitelist the IMEI will be next to impossible.

Here's the workaround. Find an already activated Verizon SIM and stick that SIM in your phone.

It may mean buying some crappy, burner Verizon phone (and selling it later) but once the SIM is activated you can use in your iPhone.

Next question... If I get a burner phone and insert the Verizon SIM.... don't I still have to give Verizon my IMEI# (i.e., like I want to go to Verizon prepaid or another Verizon MVNO)? At that point won't they say it's not compatible?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Next question... If I get a burner phone and insert the Verizon SIM.... don't I still have to give Verizon my IMEI# (i.e., like I want to go to Verizon prepaid or another Verizon MVNO)? At that point won't they say it's not compatible?
If you want Verizon prepaid, get a Verizon prepaid crap phone and activate that SIM. Same thing on an MVNO.

No, you won't have to give them the IMEI. Unlike Sprint, SIMs on other carriers are not tied to the IMEI.

Reactions: iApple_man
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.