Unlocked android smartphone on AT&T without a data plan?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by radiologyman, Jun 21, 2013.

1. radiologyman macrumors 6502

Hello, I'm using a factory unlocked palm on AT&T without a data plan. Would AT&T be able to tell if m using an unlocked not branded Samsung galaxy phone as a feature phone, i.e. without any data plan or with a feature phone data plan

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Might depend on the phone. VZW branded iPhones, Galaxy S4s, S3s, etc all get dinged with a data plan because they recognize the IMEI.

and I don't know why you'd want the feature phone unlim plan. I'm pretty sure it has no LTE support yet.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Yes.

4. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

It's for a teenager in an area without LTE coverage and even 3G is so so. Hmm, what about factory unlocked or tmobile branded galaxy phones, cell phone data can be turned off.

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

The IMEI tells AT&T exactly what kind of phone is using the SIM.

6. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

They do not have my palm in their database. Do they really have all android phones imei?

7. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

They are pretty good about having them in the list. They definitely have the unlocked galaxy s devices in there.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you get a text message saying an appropriate data plan has been added to your account then you will know they detected it.
    If not then keep using it like that if they don't catch on.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

Just curious - when you login to wireless.att.com and look at the account summary, what phone picture does it show as associated with your line?

10. radiologyman thread starter macrumors 6502

A generic flip phone

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Which means ATT probably don't even consider any Palm a smartphone anymore or it's out of their database. You'll be fine then. :)

12. MegamanX macrumors regular

That does not mean much. I had a Galaxy nexus for my phone for a while and that was the picture. Now it did say the android phone or Galaxy nexus or something like that.

13. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

Here get this: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus_4_8gb_black_promo
    Its the nexus 4 and you get it straight from google. Its unlocked out of the box. I had a couple friends who got the prepaid android's and i turned of the mobile data for them and its still working. In case you are wondering wi-fi doesn't count toward your mobile data.

14. vistadude macrumors 65816

With their new $50 unlimited plan, you can use a smartphone and not be required to buy a data plan. Although for $10 more, you get 2 GB data.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html