Unlocked Australian iPhone In Late June?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

An anonymous source for CNet.com.au claims that Apple will launch the iPhone in Australia in late June with Optus as one of several carriers to support the phone. The source reportedly also hinted that the launch would be for the upcoming 3G version of the phone rather than the current version that uses EDGE for data.

The rumor coincides with rumors earlier in April from MacTalk.com.au suggesting a late-June launch of an multi-carrier iPhone in Australia where existing Apple resellers would all get to sell the phone.

Article Link

matthewlesh

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2007
About time it comes out in Aussie land.. i don't reckon it will be completely unlocked but i'd be very happy to hear its not on Telsra.

davix

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Sydney
Apple Store Sydney late June

This may coincide with the opening of Australia's first Apple Store in Sydney, also in late June. Will be a huge event if it is.

Telstra would be dumb not to offer the phone if it is unlocked to any carrier. But they also have alot of competing online products with Apple. I'm with Optus so happy!

joeshell383

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Enough already. We get it. 3G iPhone(s) next month with worldwide (major countries) launch.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
Where does it say that multiple carriers selling the iphones means unlocked iphones?

Multiple carriers can sell sim-locked iphones that are locked to multiple carriers.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
true that

but i already got my iPhone, and am very happy with it:D

since i got mine, i've noticed heaps of people with them around melbourne. wonder how much this'll affect launch numbers. at the very least it'll mean no queues outside the store the night before...

sbf74

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2008
I wonder how many are "true" iPhone though..... perhaps more than a few are iTouches in disguise - I know my mate does that with his - sliding unlock and everything :)

winterspan

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Where does it say that multiple carriers selling the iphones means unlocked iphones?

Multiple carriers can sell sim-locked iphones that are locked to multiple carriers.
Understood -- but does that really matter? That is, assuming the main complaint about locked, carrier-exclusive phones is that people have to switch carriers to get the device. But, I can see some situations in which it would be important to unlock the phone -- say someone eventually moves to a new area with poor coverage from the locked provider or even a new country.

Either way, remember that even when the new firmware and 3G iphone comes out it will not stop the hacking. I'm sure the new 3G iphone and new firmware will be cracked and unlocked within the first week after release :)

aneks

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2006
Apple will open 3 stores in Australia, two in Sydney and one in Melbourne. They have been telling folks internally that an end of June/July opening is the target.... after 3 delays.

Retail staff will be or have already been sent to the US to train for the opening of the Store and most folks have been tipping that Apple will roll out better iTunes store and iPhones for the release.

The Optus deal and 3G is still very much in the realms of unconfirmed. But a number of factors indicate that it maybe true. Optus do not presently operate an EDGE network, only Telstra, and rolling out an iPhone without one seems to be a bad move.

PS there are loads of iPhones in Australia. When I first brought mine back from the US people where always commenting on it, now I see them everywhere.

allbrokeup

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
About time it comes out in Aussie land.. i don't reckon it will be completely unlocked but i'd be very happy to hear its not on Telsra.
HEAR HEAR!!!! Its about time it came out over here. I thought that we had Apple Store (TM) stores in Melbourne (The one adjacent to Federation Square) but i guess i was mistaken.

I am so going to get one of them God Phones :D:D:D

allbrokeup.

JimenyCriket88

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2008
Darwin
i cannot wait for the iPhone to be released in Aust. I've been looking at getting a friend to send one over from the US but i was going to wait for the 3G one to come out..... now i can hopefully just get it here in Aust.

anyone know if it'll be available on Vodafone??? i'm guessing that if it's on multiple carriers, it will be...

Phormic

macrumors regular
May 24, 2007
An internal email has just confirmed that Optus will also sell the iPhone in Australia...

"Optus today announces that we have signed a deal with Apple to bring the iPhone to Australia!

Our Group colleagues in SingTel, Bharti Airtel and Globe are also announcing they will bring iPhone to Singapore, India, and the Philippines later this year.

Further details will be announced at a later date."

So that's two carriers so far. Any more I wonder?

Official release.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Telstra will definitely want a piece of the pie - especially since their two main competitors have announced their support. I do hope Apple add support for 850MHz networks because the coverage of T's NextG network is amazing, service and price aside you have to admit the network is pretty damned good.

Glad it's on Optus and Voda, definitely need to see pricing before I do anything.

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
multiple companies = more competition

which may or may not mean a decreased price...

im hanging out to see whether any of the providers will offer a decent data plan...

optus has one for $33 p/m with 200MB downloads...
but it's not specifically for iPhone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.