Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I never thought this was possible. It took UNDER 60 SECONDS (yes, SECONDS) from the time I entered my unlock request on the ATT website, got the email to confirm the request, confirmed the request through my email as required and got the YOU"RE UNLOCKED email from AT&T. Less than 1 minute total time.

Totally unexpected considering what I had to go through in the past.

My question is, if I have to take this phone to Apple to be replaced for whatever reason will the replacement be unlocked as well?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
My Sprint iPhone 6+ came fully unlocked despite the fact that I am in a lease. Sprint screwed up.

Personally I think they ended up giving me the SIM free model by mistake.

To answer your question, once your IMEI is in Apple's unlock database there is nothing anyone can do about it. And it transfers to any replacement devices - permanently.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Same thing with me last week.
I unlocked an old iphone 4 via AT&T's iphone unlock website.
Took less than a minute.
And yes the replacement should be the same as the one you're handing in. Unlocked.
If not you can submit another request.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I was told by my local Apple Store that if I bring them an unlocked phone for replacement, that is what I will get in return. They've replaced my unlocked 6+ twice and both were unlocked.

Reactions: Applejuiced

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
I just put in another request for my brothers 6 Plus.
Got denied again within seconds:D

Unlock request number: ***

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:

You haven’t fulfilled your service contract.

You can submit a new request once you complete your service contract.

Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

Sincerely,
The AT&T Customer Care Team

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I was told by my local Apple Store that if I bring them an unlocked phone for replacement, that is what I will get in return. They've replaced my unlocked 6+ twice and both were unlocked.
Apple will always give you back what you give them. There are rare exceptions, but they are usually extreme cases with a detailed chain of events.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
I just put in another request for my brothers 6 Plus.
Got denied again within seconds:D

Unlock request number: ***

Thank you for contacting AT&T about unlocking your mobile device.

Unfortunately, your unlock request was denied because:

You haven’t fulfilled your service contract.

You can submit a new request once you complete your service contract.

Questions? Please call 800.331.0500, or dial 611 from your AT&T wireless phone.

Sincerely,
The AT&T Customer Care Team

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE
All replies are automatically deleted.

See, even that took under a minute! :) I got mine off eBay abouit 2 weeks ago. It is a 6 Plus. I guess the seller must have paid it in full since he got it last April. I wasn't even expecting it to be eligible.

I have to give credit where credit is due though .... AT&T got their act together on unlocking (when there are no issues that block it). iPhones must be faster than Android phones though because it took about 3 days for an LG I recently had unlocked by ATT which is why I was so surprised. Probably have Apple to thank for that.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
See, even that took under a minute! :) I got mine off eBay abouit 2 weeks ago. It is a 6 Plus. I guess the seller must have paid it in full since he got it last April. I wasn't even expecting it to be eligible.

I have to give credit where credit is due though .... AT&T got their act together on unlocking (when there are no issues that block it). iPhones must be faster than Android phones though because it took about 3 days for an LG I recently had unlocked by ATT which is why I was so surprised. Probably have Apple to thank for that.

Yes, they are lightning quick now responding on requests.
But sometimes they let things slide or maybe I just got lucky a few months back.
I unlocked 2 other 6 plus iphones that are under my family plan and are still under contract.
This last one I'm trying to unlock and I put in over a dozen requests and keep getting denied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.