Unlocked IP4 for international travel?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nwbusa, Jul 29, 2010.

1. nwbusa macrumors regular

This might be a dumb question, but here goes... I live in Canada but travel weekly to the US, and occasionally overseas. I'm going to upgrade from my 2G iPhone tomorrow, and am trying to decide if I should shell out the $900 or so for an unlocked 32GB phone, or sign up as a new customer with one of the cell phone companies and buy a subsidized iPhone.

I'm thinking if I buy the unlocked phone, I can be contract-free in Canada and get a pre-paid SIM when I travel to avoid the roaming fees, etc. I know nobody can do a cost-benefit analysis for me, but is the basic logic sound?

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Buying a unlock phone outright only makes sense if you don't plan on keeping a 'primary' account active. Since you are always going to have a Canadian Number, it doesn't make any sense buying an unlocked phone because you could just buy it subsidized and then have that carrier unlock it so you could use it in the US or other countries.

3. nwbusa thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm... will the Canadian carriers unlock a iPhone bought on contract, before the end of the contract period? If so, then your advice makes sense to me.

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

depends on the carrier, of course you could always wait a few weeks/months for the software unlock and just use that.

5. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Canadian carriers won't unlock them at all, before or after the contract ends.

6. nwbusa thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that will be the deciding factor then. Guess I'll have to investigate to see which (if any) carriers will unlock the phone at the time of purchase.

7. nwbusa thread starter macrumors regular

Alrighty then... so, back to buying the unlocked phone!