iPad "Unlocked" ipad pro?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GreenDakara, Oct 15, 2016.

1. GreenDakara macrumors newbie

Hi there :)

First let me apologize if this belongs somewhere else or I missed the answer to this probably very simple question when I did a search.

I'm looking at ipad pros on swappa and noticed they have a section for "unlocked". Does this mean I can use it with any mobile carrier including international?

I bought my 'international version' iPhone 6 directly from Apple USA and use it with no problems overseas so I'm just wondering if it's the same thing. I was originally going to go wi-fi only, but with the prices not being too different on swappa, why not?

2. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

Commy1

It would be unusual, but if one buys an iPad from a carrier, it's possible that the carrier locks the iPad to their service. If can be unlocked by calling the carrier.
    Any iPad you buy from Apple or a store won't be locked.

3. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

I was under the impression all iPads regardless of carriers were unlocked.

4. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

This is correct.

5. GreenDakara thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies :)

Hmm... then I'm confused why there's distinctions on swappa between carrier iPads and "unlocked" iPads, but if they're all unlocked no problem, right? Works for me!

I guess what I was also asking was that there will be no problem buying an iPad from the US and using it with an overseas carrier, right? I tried to google international ipad but all I got was results about a keyboard :p. I just wanted to make sure since when I got my iPhone 6, I remember there being an guide on Apple about making sure to get a specific model to work with overseas carriers.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Your confusion is understandable, because the way that the newest iPad Pros work with carriers is more complicated than ever.

At the very least, you can insert a SIM into the iPad Pro and it will work once activated(including international). On the 9.7, there is a secondary SIM that is built into the unit which you cannot access. If you buy from Apple, that internal SIM starts out as unlocked but if you buy from a carrier that internal SIM is locked only to that carrier you bought it from. However, the accessible SIM remains unlocked and you can use that instead.

Further complicating matters, even if you buy a 9.7 from Apple with the unlocked internal SIM, the last I heard if you select AT&T that iPad's internal SIM will lock to AT&T from that point onward, but again the external SIM remains unlocked.

I'm not sure if you're interested in the 9.7 or not though. I *believe* the 12.9 only has the one SIM slot that is always unlocked.

It's utterly ridiculous.

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

That's correct. I have the 12.9, and it only has the removable SIM.

8. GreenDakara thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for the help :)

Wow, that 9.7 business sounds complicated... I mean I'm sure the intention is to be less complicated without having to mess with sims and stuff... but I'm looking for the experience I currently have with my iPhone 6.

So good thing I am indeed looking for the 12.9 model. Removable SIM would just be the same as a SIM free iPhone 6 then, yeah? Pop in the SIM from whatever provider I'm currently using?

Ok, I just found it. With the iPhone 6 I guess I was looking for a phone that functions on GSM and CDMA (but apparently not all iPhone 6's did which was why it was important to choose the correct model from Apple). Looking at this page it seems iPad Pro 12.9 (all models?) also are fine on both so it should be no problem. I think :)?
    http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_pro-7562.php
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, but any swappa iPad pro 12.9 should be ok.