Unlocked iphone 2g 2.0 no Edge option?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dragunov, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Dragunov macrumors member

Dragunov

I have had a iphone for a while now on t-mobile so i bought the internet plan, but i dont have the edge in my general settings>network. all i have is VPN and wi-fi, i heard you might have to SSH but im not good at that. i can go on certain sites at certain times at certain places, but some of my apps dont work and some do without wifi meaning i get some connection. i got the plan yesterday. please help me this is very frustrating and all ive seen is SSH and i have no clue what id have to do.

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

AT&T's Edge service is not offered by T-Mobile, they offer their own data service which is also called Edge. If you are not paying AT&T anymore for their Edge service, then you will not be able to use it.

David

3. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

That's incorrect.

T-Mobile does offer EDGE coverage, but not necessarily in all areas. Still, it should be available in most of the continental US.

Install the APN package from Cydia (I forget the name, but it's something like "APN Carrier Fix"). This will enable the APN editing screen in the Network section of the Settings app. Once you've done that, you can change the APN, username, and password to the appropriate values for T-Mobile.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    No that isn't even necessary. Just in the settings on the phone, change the apn to epc.tmobile.com and leave the user/pass blank and it will work.

5. Dragunov thread starter macrumors member

Dragunov

I have no apn settings whatsoever. I just have VPN and wifi. I am also in the US

6. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Right, but in order to do that he'll have to install the patch that makes that settings screen available (see his original post, and follow-up beneath yours.)

Dragunov: Install the patch that I recommended, and you'll see a new setting available in the Network section of the settings app. Using that setting pane, change the APN to 'epc.tmobile.com', and leave the username and password blank. That should be all you need to do.

7. Dragunov thread starter macrumors member

Dragunov

thanks so much for the help. but i have installed and checked, then restarted and checked again, its still not there i am pretty hopeless. i used the internet today to check the football scores at work, it worked (very slowly). when i was walking home, i couldent get anything.

8. Dragunov thread starter macrumors member

Dragunov

i have installed every tweak possible, and it still wont show. help please?

9. Dragunov thread starter macrumors member

Dragunov

i just looked at my iphone about section, it says i got 2.1 firmware. so maybe thats y? should i reset and unlock again?

10. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    yes. also all you need to do is enable the apn settings and then enter in the info. Don't install the tzone hack packages from cydia.

11. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

But you can't use AT&T's Edge service is what I was trying to say. Since you are not paying for it.

David

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Ah. I see what you meant. But EDGE is a type of data technology for GSM phones -- it's not specific to AT&T, nor is it the name of a service that they offer. Thus the confusion.

To the OP: Install the tweak to enable APN editing (Hint: search for "APN" in Cydia. The package is clearly labelled.) Then, go to Settings -> Network -> Cellular Data Network and enter "epc.tmobile.com" in the APN field. Check to make sure that the "Username" and "Password" fields are blank. Once you've returned to the main Settings page, toggle Airplane Mode.

If you do the steps as I described, you will have a working data connection, provided that you've subscribed to the appropriate T-Mobile plan. Do *not* install any other T-Mobile-related packages unless you are sure you know what you're doing. If you have installed them, uninstall them and restart the phone before trying the steps I've given you.

13. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Oh sorry then, I am not very knowledgeable about telecommunications protocols like Edge, HSDPA, HSUPA, etc. I have my original post to attempt lessen any confusion caused by it originally.

David

14. Dragunov thread starter macrumors member

Dragunov

thanks, but again guys, i dont have the cellular network option. all i have is vpn and wifi, and data roaming. i will try today to uninstall all the tmobile packages i installed, and if not i will restore and unlock, should i upgrade to 2.2?

15. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Well, I have had problems even without jailbreaking and unlocking my iPhone like GPS taking forever, app updates taking forever and other minor problems. There were no bug fixes for unlocking your iPhone included in the 2.2 update.:p So I would say no, you don' have to.

David