Unlocked iPhone 2G - Prepaid

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pharonyk, Dec 17, 2009.

1. pharonyk macrumors member

I own an unlocked/jailbroken first generation iPhone (2G) and I have never EVER had a cellphone contract because of financial issues. :eek: I have used prepaid on my iPhone at another country and it was perfect to use it.

I live in USA and I'm looking for a way to use prepaid from AT&T (or anything else recommended) but I'm not sure how it works. I tried searching on the forums and Google about this and I'm just confused.

Do I buy those GoPhones with the phones including the prepaid sim? Do I just go to an AT&T store and lie about having a RAZR (ect.) then ask them for a prepaid sim only? I'm really not sure what I should do because I'm so unfamiliar with having a phone.

If anybody knows anything, please let me know.

Thanks for reading.

2. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The way I did it was to buy the cheapest AT&T Gophone. I went home and activated it and then put the sim into my iPhone. If You have a 2G iPhone, it needs to be unlocked first. If you have a 3G or 3GS running 3.0 or higher, it doesn't need to be unlocked to run an AT&T GoPhone sim.

3.0 or higher disabled data such as the ability to access the internet so you need a hacked carrier file to enable it if you want to use the internet.

GoPhone data plans are expensive:
    1MB for $4.99
    100 MB for $19.99

You can use a T-Mobile sim in your unlocked iPhone as well but 3G won't work on an iPhone because T-Mobile uses a different frequency.

3. ukcolinr macrumors regular

You can just go into an AT&T store and ask to buy a GoPhone SIM, that's all I did! You have to put credit on it but the SIM itself is free. They didn't ask me anything about what handset I'd be using it in, just handed me the SIM.

4. pharonyk thread starter macrumors member

Sounds awesome, I gotta try it

5. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Just go to the AT&T store and tell them
    you have an Original iPhone, and plan to activate it at home. They then give you a blank sim card. DO NOT BUY A Gophone and activate it, and thenstick the sim in the iPhone. GoPhone sims are different, and get locked to the pre paid handset for 180 days I think. It will day unregersetered sim on te iPhone. So just ask for a blank sim card, and call AT&T to activate it, or do it online. Just don't buy a prepaid kit, activate the gophone, and stick it in te iPhone. It won't work. It used to work though. Infill AT&T moved to a new kind on sim card.

6. pharonyk thread starter macrumors member

So basically you're saying that I should go to an AT&T store, ask for a "Blank sim card for the iPhone", and then activate it myself online or call AT&T?

7. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

Why don't you get a nice cold glass of SHUT THE **** UP.

You sir fail, whatever you said in the post is fail. As in to OP, listen to the other people above this tool man taylor.

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

The GoPhone sim is only locked to the phone for 6 months if the GoPhone contains an offer for a credit to be added to the account once activated. All you would have to do to get around that is get a new sim and don't use the one that came with the GoPhone. You won't get the credit this way though.

9. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Why don't you speak truth? I know the GoPhone sims are different for a FACT. I had already tried this method. I had to spend $25 on a regular sim card in addition to the kit. I'm just trying to be helpful. So don't bash other members.

I didn't know the length of time exactly. Thanks for clearing that up for me. All I knew, is that the sim cards get locked to the handset for a certain amount of time.

10. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

11. Gwenwivar macrumors newbie

Does NOT work!!!

If you use a Iphone that is bought unlocked the Gophone prepaid cards will NOT work. It will allow you the use of the phone as a phone and text but no data will be usable. Don't forget if you use the iphone without their knowledge and do not tell them it is a breach of contract and so they can do whatever they want including changing your contract to pay for the data usage you used with your phone. It is completely legal for them to do this to you. So, if you want to use a Iphone unlocked and prepaid do NOT use AT&T.

ATM I have not found a prepaid that allows data without the phone being locked to the provider. I have tried Verizon and AT&T. Giving up because I am only in the states for two months...