unlocked iphone 3g and pay as go data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dseth, Dec 3, 2009.

1. dseth macrumors newbie

i bought a new iphone 3g - unlocked & jailbroken. tested my sim of ATT and T-Mobile . No problem . configured wifi - no problem . i have go phone plan . i saw a option of buying data plan under go phone category . so i bought $20 of data plan - 100 MB for 1 month . i tested it and it didn't work . What could be reason of data plan not working on iphone . Is it not working as iam using iphone ? I don't want to buy expensive plan for voice and data . i want to keep go phone and data option so i can use it to call and if needed surf around also.

please suggest . I can't call ATT support as this is an unlocked phone and as per them go phone plans are not supported on iphones.

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

What message do you get when you try to load a page in Safari?

3. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

you need to type in the correct APN + user name + password for cellular data network.

4. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

Maybe you haven't configured the APN settings? You can search for those on google.

5. dseth thread starter macrumors newbie

no APN option

on error message i get from safari.
    "
    safari cannot open the page as it cannot connect to internet.
    "

i couldn't find an APN option under General -> Network . I did googled and lots of people suggested doing different thing like installing APN base drive from cydia , i tried but it failed with some error in the script ? i tried with unlockit.co.nz but no success . Any suggestion .

the phone is 3G , version 3.1.2 (7d11)

6. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Go to http://www.benm.at/help/help.php on your iPhone and browse to the U.S section under mobile configs and then select the one for AT&T. This will install a profile on your phone that will enable data.

7. dseth thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks at lot . Going to http://www.benm.at/help/help.php and installing APN for ATT worked . i can connect to the network now except its really slow for you tube v/s other non-grapic stuff like stocks/email etc . Is the go data plan will have some slower response v/s people on plan . Do they get premium stuff . just checking .

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No the type of data plan shouldn't make a difference in speed. You got 3G turned on right?

9. dseth thread starter macrumors newbie

yes , 3G is turned on . i will monitor it for sometime .
    I have ATT go plan - 3 month $25 . i bought $20 data plan which is part of go phone feature. its gives 100 MB for a month , which may be little expensive . is there way i can get a unlimited data plan for $30 and continue to use go phone . my calls are less but internet browsing is little more.

any suggestions .

10. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

The $20 data plan is the biggest one available for GoPhones. You can't get the $30 plan unless you go with the regular 3G iPhone contract.

Back in the summer, I called AT&T asking if I could go on the old no longer available $19.99 unlimited data and was told it was no longer offered of course. A day later, they told me to take the customer service survey and I told them I wanted the unlimited data package. About a month later, I was offered the unlimited data for $19.99 and got it added to my GoPhone pick a plan and have been using it ever since. I got it added on at the end of September. I think I was offered it because of my call to AT&T and the survey because no one else has been able to get it added on. They just get told it's no longer available. It was discontinued last January.

I do think the GoPhone data plans are a bit slower in speed compared to my regular iPhone data plan. I do have tethering enabled on my 3G using my GoPhone sim and it tested at just under 2MB on my MBP.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If it tested around 2MB then it's good. How fast do u expect 3G to be?
    On average I get around 1 to 1.5mb with my 3GS. 2MB if I'm lucky here and there.

12. dseth thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys . how to enabled tethering on iphone . i did google on enabling tethering but as usual there are too many ways . please share me how you did it so i can follow the similar procedure.

appreciate your help.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Add this source/repo in cydia
    www.sinfuliphonerepo.com/
    Then look for and install the enable tethering for 3G addon.
    Reset network settings and restart iphone.
    Done

14. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Well that's what it tested out when I was tethering to my MBP. When I test it on the phone itself using the speedtest.net app, it only tests as about 10-40Kbps which is nowhere near what it shows on the MBP. I don't know what to believe.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

10-40 is very low.
    I dont see why it would make a difference in speed if you're using a MBP or an iphone app though.
    It all depends on the coverage and area you're in also.