Unlocked iphone 3G on T-Mobile with no Data.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bestthereis27, Apr 25, 2011.

1. bestthereis27 macrumors member

Hello everyone,

I've been looking and looking and trying to find answer. I just jailbroke and unlocked an iPhone 3G. My friend has an T-Mobile plan without data. Data isn't too important for her as she in around Wifi for most of her days. I swapped out the Sim card and the iphone recognized it fine.

When she is off Wifi, and clicks on Safari it brings up a site that says you do not have data on your plan, you will be charged $1.95 a MB if you hit continue and accept the terms. My question is as long as she doesn't hit continue she should be ok correct? Apps like weather would not load if only on Edge, I assuming no data wont allow her to get anything.

I just don't want her to receive some bill with $$$$ worth or charges from apps going out and trying to receive data. Is there a place where i can completely disable any ability to go out for data, and only get wifi.

One last thing, is MMS part of data? I read that in a few of the threads. I also read MMS wasn't working on iphone with T-Mobile. Any answers to these questions would be great. Thanks.

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

There's an option to turn off cellular data in the phone. That should help with any stray data usage. Your friend should also call t-mobile and ask them to turn off data as well.
    MMS requires data. However, if you look at all those other phones that MMS, AT&T doesn't charge those people for data; I don't know about t-mobile. MMS settings require configuration. If you google it, you'll find it.

3. bestthereis27 thread starter macrumors member

4. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

Install SBSettings and toggle all data off.

Sounds like you already figured out the MMS issue, so I'll leave that.

5. KHC831 macrumors member

you need to have Edge on in order to send mms. DON'T toggle data off in sbsetting otherwise you wont be able to send any mms. it uses data but it falls under your "text msg" plan

6. bestthereis27 thread starter macrumors member

Oh really...hmmm ok I will re-enable it. What if I just have the APN blank under the cellular data section. If there is no wap.voicestream.com there is no way to get out for data correct?

Attached Files: