Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I am moving to canada for college in a few days and i totally love the iphone 3g s, however i dont want a contract! rogers and fido are selling contract-less iphones but i believe they arent factory unlocked, you are still bound to the same provider, kinda like in india. Is there somewhere from where i can get factory unlocked iphones without having to travel to hong kong? :p

fuzion11

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I live in Toronto. I'm pretty sure you can buy the phone and unlock it yourself with the dev team's software.

The iPhone will only work on Rogers or fido though, being those are our only two GSM providers currently.

akbc

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2008
Try to find them in like.. local used/new phone stores or individuals that sell online (something like craiglist/kijiji? offline?)
I'm in Korea where they don't sell iPhones but I find plenty of factory unlocked iPhones on online/offline stores and people who are from outside.

Where in Canada are you going to? You can probably get one through Kijiji/Craiglist in Canada as well.
Try to buy a factory unlocked phone. At least they'll be covered by warranty when it bricks itself or something. (I got mine from Australia just so I can get a factory unlocked one)

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
hmm yepp thats what i ll prolly do if i cant get a factory unlocked iphone in canada. n then i ll jailbreak it :p :D i thought of buying it off puremobile but its too darn expensive without adding more to the cost!

Bjohnson33

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2006
Look into the dev team's hack to unlock your phone. It looks like they've made it extremely easy to do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.