Unlocked iPhone 3g w/ no data plan on AT&T? Is it possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SS Android, Mar 23, 2009.

1. SS Android macrumors newbie

Basically I wish to get an iphone 3g, unlock or jail break it - whatever is needed, insert my AT&T sim card which I already have into it, and have it work. I don't have a data plan and don't currently have the $ to pay for one, so until then I plan on using wifi. I've found some apps to keep edge and 3g turned off by the way on my iphone, but my question is will AT&T realize my phone is an iphone and automatically add a data plan? Basically will this all work?

2. courtney.bella macrumors member

courtney.bella

Don't think so--since I don't think you CAN turn off Edge.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They will see the iPhone and just add the data plan again.

4. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, people do it all the time. You will need to make sure that you setup your account features before you put your currentl active AT&T SIM into the iPhone 3G.

Call Customer Care and make sure that you have all data blocked on your line to prevent any Pay Per Use (PPU) charges once you put the SIM into the iPhone 3G. The AT&T technical term is called a WIX Block. Make sure that you want a SMS Messaging plan that you have it already added before you put the SIM into the iPhone 3G. Then you just need to insert your current AT&T SIM into the iPhone 3G. There is no need to unlock or Jailbroke the iPhone 3G if it already an AT&T locked version.

A couple of key notes.

Make sure that if you want to software unlock to use your iPhone 3G on another carrier that you do not upgrade to the latest OS version 2.2.1 with Bootloader 2.30. This latest version is not software unlockable at this time.

AT&T will know that you are using an iPhone 3G as your phone self-reports everytime you connect to the cell network. Your device sends it's IMEI and the IMEI tells AT&T about your iPhone.

You will not have access to Visual Voicemail as this requires the iPhone data plan. So you will only have the standard AT&T voicemail.

Dave

5. mesamac macrumors member

Thanks you for the information. I am in the same boat and I called AT&T
    to do "WIX block". It seems it's free of cost to enable or disable that feature.

I do have WiFi most of the places for internet. So, I don't see or have budget to pay extra 30 bucks for this.

It's very comforting to know now that we don't see any charges for data download but still enjoy iPhone with WiFi spots.