Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2009
People have been saying to unlock my iphone. I have an iphone 3G and my carrier is AT@T. I was wondering if this was a good idea. Would anything be affected in a negative way? Pros? Cons?

A few friends who have the unlocked iphone use T-Mobile. Wondering was there a difference if one would use an unlocked iphone 3G with AT@T?

Thanks!

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
There's no point if you are going to use it just for AT&T... If you plan on traveling, then you could unlock it and use sim cards all around the world to avoid roaming charges.

alfred1986

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2009
Unlocking may help you in many ways.You can activate any iPhone on any network, any carrier, any SIM card. This is not a technical hardware unlock, No need to soldering/opening your iPhone. You can restore your iPhone to original state, You can use it on as many iPhones you want, works with any iPhone, any Provider, any Simcard! Fully iPhone optimized.

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
Unlocking may help you in many ways.You can activate any iPhone on any network, any carrier, any SIM card. This is not a technical hardware unlock, No need to soldering/opening your iPhone. You can restore your iPhone to original state, You can use it on as many iPhones you want, works with any iPhone, any Provider, any Simcard! Fully iPhone optimized.

Not any SIM or any network.....

IF you plan on keeping AT&T there is no need to unlock you phone at this time. If you plan on selling it at some point it would be a good idea along with the other reasons already posted.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
T-mobile has cheaper plans, but you don't have access to 3G. If this is fine with you, then unlocking the phone to use T-mobile is not such a bad idea.

mpramodjain

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2008
Banglore

Can an unlocked iPhone be used for App store application develoment purpose. As the process includes the provision profile development, i would like to confirm whether Apple be able to know , we are using unlock iPhone and take an action regarding the app development using provision profile.

I just would like to have a clarification or any link on the web which would help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.