Unlocked iPhone 3GS HELP!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by UrBoyTim, Sep 5, 2011.

1. UrBoyTim macrumors member

Alright so today I tried everything I could to connect to my T-mobile network, which stopped working today, and ended up having to re-jailbreak.

I plugged it in, and somehow started to get a new update from iTunes which put it into recovery mode. Every time I try to use a custom IPSW in iTunes I get an error. Even the Sn0wbreeze ipsw I made won't work once my phone is in DFU mode. All attempts where also done again using TinyUmbrella to try and kick it out of recovery. I'm not sure what else to do. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've also just tried using Redsn0w to somehow bypass iTunes installing the ipsw's. I think that whatever did install through iTunes could have possibly bricked my phone? Idk though. Thanks guys!

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

We need some info, which you neglected to include:
    -current iOS
    -bb
    -Computer OS
    You didn't mention anything about using your blobs. If you don't have these, you're kinda screwed.
    You didn't mention what iOS iTunes tried to install. And why would you even agree to an update? You should know better.

3. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

The current iOS is 4.2.1 with the iPad baseband. I'm running on windows7...

I'm not sure what else to try now. Even in pwned DFU through Redsn0w, iTunes rejects the custom ipsws. I've gotten error 3194 several times as well.
    And I'm not sure why I agreed to an upgrade. It's been so long since the initial unlock I guess I forgot the ignore.

I've also tried several things using redsn0w and I get stuck on "please wait" about halfway through the process. Probably because it can't read the ipsw, but I'm really not sure.

4. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

so I managed to get it fixed...sort of.
    I played around and was able to restore it to 4.1 fw, but now when I unlock it and try to use Ultrasn0w, I get no service for T-mobile. I've done all the tips that I can find online..
    Could it be because of the version of Redsn0w that I used? Or is there a safe way to upgrade to 4.2.1 where I had it initially and it worked well?

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I'm not sure what you're doing. All I know is the following:
    -you need the blobs to install anything other than the current ios

So again I ask, which blobs do you have?

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

for 3GS, you do not need blob to downgrade to 4.1 firmware. i did tried it and it work base on other thread in here.

----------

Did you turn off the 3G?

7. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

I'll be honest, lol. I've only ever unlocked my 3G and now my 3GS, and I'm not sure what to do with a blob or what it is. I did find some saved however..
    But yes, I've done all the tips, turned off 3G and all that. I'm not sure if this is an option, but could it be the version of Redsn0w I used to jailbreak?

I used 0.9.6rc16 for 4.1 because it was what I already had installed and used when the phone was on 4.2.1 originally. If I was supposed to use an earlier version of redsnow, maybe it's causing ultrasnow to malfunction?

IDEALLY, I would want it back to 4.2.1 and unlocked like it was before, but it goes to recovery every time I shift+restore with custom 4.2.1 and kick it out with Tinyumbrella :(

Ideas or theories?

8. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Huh. I'm surprised apple disabled the security check for the 3GS on 4.1.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes for some reason they're still signing 4.1 for the 3GS.
    Weird.

10. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Since it's from Apple, will that downgrade the baseband too? if it does then it's a great news.

11. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

it will not downgrade the baseband but fail with a 1015 error, Unless you use custom firmware.

if we were talking about an Iphone iv still having 4.1 signed it would downgrade the baseband because the iV has baseband signing the 3gs does not.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, that only applies to iphone 4's.
    Even if you have blobs the baseband doesnt get downgraded on a 3GS.
    But even if it did get downgraded the 4.1 firmwares baseband is NOT unlockable:D

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Wait, i thought you said Apple is still signing 4.1 for 3GS? I thought it will be great news if it actually downgrade the baseband too (not sure if it's unlockable though).

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, its not unlockable and like I said above downgrading the firmware to 4.1 will not downgrade the baseband on a 3GS.
    That only works on iphone 4 models where if Apple is still signing the firmware then it downgrades both firmware and baseband version.
    Not sure if you understand where I was getting at though.

15. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

So anyways....lol.

The phone is running now, but it still won't read my SIM!!
    I get the "Network Lost- Your selected cellular network is no longer available." popup. This morning I woke up and it had T-mobile, but zero bars. I restarted and then got the message again. Could that be T-mobile blocking my signal? I've heard of blacklisting and did some research, but I couldn't get a clear enough answer to know for sure.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you turn off 3G? You installed ultrasnow?
    What is your bb version?

17. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

Yea I turned off 3G, downloaded Ultrasn0w, and my bb is iPad 6.15.00

I've tried flashing the bb again via redsn0w and reinstalling Cydia/Ultrasn0w several times now and I still get the "Network Lost- Your cellular network is no longer available." Sometimes T-mobile shows up in the network list, but it never connects.

18. agonyandxtasy macrumors newbie

same problem here. im gonna try and downgrade to 4.1 and will post my results

19. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

Alright so I made a custom ipsw with snowbreeze, jailbroke afterwards with greenpoison instead of redsnow. Then I unlocked... it worked for like 3 hours.
    -_____-

back to the drawing board.
    I just reinstalled the snowbreeze ipsw and am messing with it there.
    I'll post results.

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Are you using an AT&T sim to activate? It makes a difference for some people.
    Get one off eBay. It can be inactive.

21. UrBoyTim thread starter macrumors member

Well I do after the restore to register on itunes as a new phone. I just use my buddy's. Are you saying through the unlock process with ultrasn0w, keep his in the phone throughout? I'm assuming that's what you mean, and I'll try that.

And I was wondering...
    Could there be any difference through deleting any logs/itunesprefs? I'm thinking that the problem might be the fact that I've jailbroken the stupid thing like 12 times... I'm not sure though.
    Do the hosts have anything to do with it either? I put the cydia hosts instead of itunes ones... I'm not even sure what that did though lol.

Also, just an update, the phone loads t-mobile on the network list now, but everytime I click on it, the "network lost" message pops up.