Unlocked iPhone 3GS question

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by puffy1980, Mar 29, 2011.

1. puffy1980 macrumors newbie

I recently brought a "Sim Free" 3GS on e-Bay. When I received it, I noticed that it had Cydia installed, and was jailbroken. Is it possible to find out if the phone is actually unlocked, or if it was unlocked when it was jailbroken. I want to upgrade to 4.3.1 iOS, but I don't want to lose the unlock if thats the case. If its any help, its baseband is 06.15.00.

Thanks in advance guys

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Can you elaborate what you mean a "SIM FREE" phone?

3. puffy1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. As in was brought from Apple, Factory Unlocked, No Contract, Not provided with a Sim Card.

4. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Base on your original thread, this is a software unlock... whoever sell you this phone has installed an Ipad baseband (06.15) on it. So, it is not a factory unlock phone.

5. Shoot macrumors regular

Yes, call or visit your local apple store, the staff there will be able to look up the serial number and see whether or not it was indeed bought at an apple store sim-free or not, and if so- which network it is locked to. I had them do this for me.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

It is not a factory unlock phone. It has the Ipad baseband. Iphone never come with Ipad baseband. :D

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Listen to what CRX told you.
    Open up Settings/general/about and look at the modem firmware.
    If its 06.15.00 then you got scammed cause its not a factory unlocked but just a software unlocked with a JB.
    If you attempt to update not only you will lose your unlock but the phone will be stuck in recovery mode with the connect to itunes logo and you wont be able to restore it using any itunes firmware.
    You will need to jump thru 10 other hoops to do that assuming it has shsh blobs on cydia server and many other things.
    In other words DONT UPDATE IT.

8. puffy1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, thats what I thought it would mean. I thought the Baseband, or rather hoped that the baseband had been updated when it was Jailbroken, and had nothing to do with the unlock. Maybe I will take it into the Apple shop anyway, the worse thats gonna happen is they are going to tell me it should be locked on a certain network. Never know, it might not be the case...I doubt it tho! LOL!!