Unlocked Iphone 4 doesn't work on all networks

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by martinas, Aug 21, 2010.

1. martinas macrumors newbie

Hi, I've got Iphone 4 locked to Rogers. I have jailbroken and unlocked it but it only works with Fido and doesn't work with Telus sim card. Is there any way I can get it to work on any network? Especially I am interested in Telus. Thanks.

2. silentsim macrumors regular

If it's unlocked it should work on Telus without an issue. Try uninstalling and reinstalling ultrasn0w. Also, is the error with the telus sim card INVALID SIM?

3. bella92108 macrumors 68000

Are you using an actual Telus SIM card? I saw a post from someone one time saying they couldn't use Telus when roaming on AT&T and so they jailbroke and unlocked to try to do so, not knowing that's not what unlock does. Unlock doesn't expand carrier roaming capability, it allows you to use a Telus SIM in an AT&T device, or vice versa. I know it's the obvious, but I thought I'd state it because the other guy in the other post didn't understand.

Yesterday I stood next to a guy in Bangkok buying an iPhone 4, and he was buying a factory unlocked iPhone for 2x it's value because he thought he needed it to use his AT&T sim card in Thailand... lol... I helped "shed some light" so he bought the AT&T version since he only intended to use it on AT&T's SIM while in BKK... oye, I guess on this board we take for granted that some people don't know jailbreak vs unlock vs ability to roam, etc. :)

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What?
    He bought the AT&T version iphone in Bangkok?
    What are you talking about?

5. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

If I'm reading the previous post correctly, I believe there might have been a customer in Bangkok from the USA with an at&t sim. The guy probably was interested in an iPhone 4. He probably had two options: 1) buy the factory unlocked version (prob from HK or Singapore) or 2) buy one that is factory locked to at&t (prob originated from the USA).

The previous poster was saying how he managed to save the customer from blowing a huge wad of cash on a factory unlocked iphone 4, when the customer only really wanted to be able to roam internationally (which incidentally is a mega RIP-OFF at 200MB/month at $199USD).

I was in a similar circumstance having to spend the next few months out here in-between Beijing, China and Taipei, Taiwan. I had my initial launch at&t locked iphone 4 and was contemplating touching base with a canadian seller or HK seller to get a factory unlocked unit. The factory unlocked units were going for nearly $1300-$1500USD, so I relented and was prepping my JB/ultrasn0w'd 3GS. Luckily the day before I was to fly out, the dev-team dropped the iPhone 4 JB/unlock! I was SO happy and like switching to Geico commercials, I saved an ass-ton of money!

I've been able to use the ultrasn0w'd at&t phone with at least 3 different providers - at&t (int'l roaming), Chunghwa Telecom and China Unicom without any major issues. There are occasional moments on China Unicom, here in Beijing, where the phone on a respring or reboot will suddenly show no provider. Ejecting the sim and reseating often give a "SIM failure" message. The first time I saw this I almost panicked, but after a forced reboot (power + home held until reboot), the unit came back on without any more issues. Had to do this so far maybe 3 times in 3 weeks, not sure if their network is polling phone for their models or something as the model isn't officially release her yet. Otherwise, ultrasn0w has been perfect! <3 to the Dev-Team!

6. bella92108 macrumors 68000

You must not travel a lot. If you buy iPhone 4 in Thailand or the Philippines or Malaysia it's a ATT brand us version unlocked.

You CAN buy factory unlocked but the supply of jailbroken unlocked ATT versions outnumbers the real unlocked by about 100 to 1

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, I cant remember the last time I traveled to Thailand, Philippines or Malaysia :D
    So what you're saying is they sell used USA AT&T iphones JB and unlocked there.

8. bella92108 macrumors 68000

No they're brand new. If you buy one they break the seal and unlock it in front of you. When apple sells out and people wonder where all the iPhones went apparently people buy them and ship em to stores in southeast Asia because they have thousands at all thr malls but they come with a price. 16 gb ATT soft unlocked sells for about $700 and 32 gb for about $950-1050 and factory unlocked from UK they sell for $1100/1400 about

9. martinas thread starter macrumors newbie

I did. Still doesn't work. It says no service.

10. martinas thread starter macrumors newbie

It is an actual Telus sim card I am using.

11. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Why don't people just buy the phones locked then jailbreak them and install ultrasn0w themselves?

And if UK unlocked iPhones are worth that much, I better stock up! :D

12. molala macrumors 6502a

Too much work. Whenever there is an iOS update, you'll have to fiddle with the jailbreaking. A lot of people wouldn't know where to begin and would probably brick their phone by accident. There is more money than technical knowhow floating around.

And maybe I should also consider buying and selling unlocked iPhone 4's in SEAsia. Hmmm.