Unlocked iPhone 4 from CA?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Winter Charm, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

I found this article, and I've really been wanting an iPhone 4, but I do not want to be stuck with the troll that is AT&T.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/202014/iphone_4_gets_unlocked_in_canada_for_a_price.html

I had a few questions:
    1. If i do this, will I be able to use the phone in the United States?
    2. What carriers would this work with?
    3. Is there any chance that my iPhone could brick if it detects that it is in the united states?

Thanks. Also, any pricing information would be really nice.:apple:

2. SnowDX macrumors 6502

1. Yes, you can use it in the U.S. with any network compatible with the iPhone's frequencies
    2. I believe in the U.S. it's AT&T and T-Mobile and any small guys that use AT&T's or T-Mobile's network. Since T-Mobile isn't a supported iPhone network, I believe you don't get visual voicemail or FaceTime
    3. Not that I know of.
    The pricing was listed in the first paragraph of the article you posted and is also on Apple Canada's web site http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ

Something to note, to order from Apple Canada's web site, you need a Canadian credit card and have it shipped to a Canadian address. Other options to buy are to go to Canada and buy directly or have a Canadian friend/relative buy and ship/bring it to you.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, pretty much everything that the bro said above.
    If you decide to use it on Tmobile USA you will not be able to use their 3G service since the bands are incompatible, just 2G. And no visual voicemail or facetime.

4. SnowDX macrumors 6502

To expand on the compatible networks, any network that supports:

UMTS/HSDPA/HSUPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

and you used to have to cut the sim down to micro-sim size for T-Mobile because they didn't have micro-sims. Not sure if that has changed?