Unlocked IPhone 4 on 4.0.1 to 4.1?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cubiewong, Nov 6, 2010.

1. cubiewong macrumors newbie

Hi All, long time reader first time poster.

Long story short, gf bought a IP4 here in north america and I unlocked for her since it came with 4.0.1. She has since moved to China and wanted firmware 4.1 badly due to the proximity sensor issue.

I'm aware that pwnage tool can customize firmware so she can preserve her carrier unlock and still upgrade to 4.1? (please correct me if I'm mistaken) She uses PC so can't access pwnage tool. Would it be possible for me to customize the firmware for her and send the firmware to her in China and would she be able to do the upgrade herself without losing carrier unlock?

I've dugged through the forum without coming to a concerte conclusion, any advice would help! thanks guys.

Thanks,

2. jobless macrumors newbie

Why don't you have her use Tinyumbrella before upgrade to 4.1

3. Jay28 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/ read and your problems will be solved.

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Yes.

1) You create or find custom 4.1 firmware file (w/ keeping current baseband). Use hackivate if she doesnt have official carrier sim to activate the phone. Send it to you gf.
    2) Your gf must use Redsn0w (Windows) to put the phone into DFU mode.
    3) Restore through iTunes with custom firmware. Afterward, the phone is JB with Cydia.
    4) Through Cydia, install Ultrasn0w to unlock.

5. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your best bet is to pack your MAC and USB cable, grap a flight to China and go visit your GF.

6. cubiewong thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks dudez.. i'm being extra careful with this cuz we all know who will bare the wrath when this thing doesn't work out...

7. cubiewong thread starter macrumors newbie

PROBLEMS PROBLEMS!! HELP! HELP!

So I did what you guys suggested and cooked the custom 4.1 FW and sent it to my gf. She successfully put her phone in DFU mode but while updating the FW with itune she encountered the 21 error and FW would not update...

so now she's stuck with a phone in DFU mode.. and worried about losing her unlock...

1) Is there any way to kick the phone out of DFU so she can just use it like it was before?

2) any way to update the FW and solve the 21 error problem in Itune?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

8. ipader macrumors member

Please let us know how everything turned out.