Unlocked iPhone 4 Suddenly Locked Itself!! Re-Installing Ultrasn0w doesn't Work!!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bender o, Sep 1, 2010.

1. bender o macrumors 6502

bender o

Hi,

So here's the story, I talked to my dad over my unlocked iPhone 4 at 3PM today, I got home by 5PM and I wasn´t able to make calls, I rebooted, turned it off, reinstalled ultrasn0w, reset, hard reset, reset network configurations, I've tried everything. Finally I thought well let's take out my SIM and insert the AT&T one that came with the phone, well obviously pretty much nothing happened but when I insterted mine back it said SIM error Invalid SIM.

I'm pretty much left with restoring, I did save my SHSH blobs so I have 2 questions, first is there anything else you think can work before restoring? And second if the answer to the first one is NO, to restore I just click ALT+Restore and select the 4.0.1 firmware I downloaded a few days ago right?

Thanks

2. AaronE macrumors 6502

If you plan to restore back to 4.01 you will most likely need to use the Tiny Umbrella app.

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

I used it to restore to 4.01 and there's plenty of guides out there that show you how to restore using the app.

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

First, you need to rule out your SIM card itself. It seems to be okay with the included AT&T one, so that rules out a problem with the SIM card tray. Either use someone else's SIM or go to your provider and tell them you damaged your SIM. You should get a replacement for free.

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

He doesn't need/have to use tiny. He can either redirect to cydia or use tiny.

Like what was said try another sim, I assumed it cut the first one yourself?

5. bender o thread starter macrumors 6502

bender o

Thanks for you help guys. Actually I kept getting the 3002 error in iTunes hen trying to restore so I started deleting stuff from cydia and when I deleted commcenter (which I installed to get the 3G working) it came back to life :)

I still get some dropped calls but until my carrier doesn't bring microSIM officially I'm stucked with the one I cut my self which could be the problem also.

Thanks again :D

6. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Glad it was resolved. You still might want to get a new SIM. With the practice you had from cutting your first one, you should do a better job this time around. You don't have to do it now, but it's something to keep in mind for the future.

7. Dyspareunia macrumors regular

I've actually come across this SIM error and Invalid SIM a couple of times already, when I made the mistake of rebooting the iPhone. I have an at&t iPhone 4 jb'd and unlocked, currently have encountered the error on several occasions over the last 2 months in conjunction with 2 foreign providers - ChungHwa Telecom & China Unicom. Both of them were cut down to size, though only one of them, when trimmed down, actually cuts through the contacts/bronze portion of the SIM. I came across a comment thread on the dev blog that said someone else saw this same issue. My attempts at resolution was a haphazard combination of ejecting the SIM and leaving it out and hard rebooting and putting the cut SIM back. Sometimes it would work, other times it would still say Invalid SIM or SIM Failure.

The suggested resolution from the dev blog, which I recently replicated with good results are as follows: When the phone is giving the no service/sim failure/invalid sim error - 1) turn on airplane mode. 2) Hard reboot (home + power until it reboots) or turn off and back on. 3) following this reboot, turn off the airplane mode to allow the phone to start its carrier "Searching..." and with any luck the phone will find the carrier and work normally.

I don't think its a true SIM failure as I've seen the error on two different SIMs from two different carriers with the iPhone 4. The SIMs work great in non-iPhone without any failure, which makes me believe its more of a Ultrasn0w issue somewhere when you reboot the iPhone.

8. Mhaddy, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011

Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

Experiencing this problem and your Suggested resolution doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Edit: the home + power reboot didn't work but when I tried a normal shutdown and turn back on, it worked-- thanks!