Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
So ATT unlocked my iPhone, but I had to get it replaced by Apple, but they replaced it with a locked iphone 4. Is there anything I can do? I am no longer a ATT customer so they refuse to unlock it again.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
If your phone is locked to AT&T and you were once a customer but no longer, AND you don't owe them money or anything, they will unlock your phone.

Go to their website and read the requirements. Read them to the CS rep on the phone if you have to, then ask for their supervisor if the don't unlock it.

Mac7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Funny thing just happened. The refurb iPhone 4 wouldn't activate in the Apple Store with my tmobile sim. But right now after activating it with a att sim card i had laying around, I plugged the tmobile sim back in and what do you know, it connected.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
I had the same issue, had to replace my unlocked AT&T IP4, got an locked AT&T in return.

Apple store couldn't get it unlocked, so they upgraded me to a 4S :)

Maybe the sim trick would have worked, but i think i like this solution beter.

shmark

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Had the same problem with AT&T and basically begged them to unlock it, which they finally did.

biohead

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
West Drayton, UK
I'd have guessed that as unlocking is done on Apple server's, it would recognise the fact when the serial number is replaced (much like when the warranty automatically moves onto a new serial during replacement).

I know it's a bit more stricter with unlocking in the US than the UK so that may be why, but when I had to get my iP4 replaced I checked with the genius and he said it would remain unlocked, despite the fact that all replacement iPhones come out of the same drawer.

mfilova

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
NY, USA
Unlocked iPhone 4 from AT&T

Had the same problem with AT&T and basically begged them to unlock it, which they finally did.

The best way to get factory unlocked iPhone 4 is to buy an iPhone 4 from ebay (locked to AT&T) then to use factory unlock service to Unlock your device. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.