Unlocked iphone 4s question - Help!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by tbch2325, Oct 26, 2012.

1. tbch2325 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I cant seem to find the answer to this question anywhere...

Once I put a sim card into an unlocked iphone 4s, does it get locked to that network?

I'm basically going travelling in the near future and need a phone that I can easily swap out sim cards without having to unlock it each time..

Also will I need to reconnect my iPhone to iTunes in order reactivate the phone on the new network? If so this will be a problem as I will not have a laptop/internet connection.

Thanks!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Is your iPhone (IMEI) carrier unlocked? If it is, it'll never get relocked. Once you put another sim card, it will have no effect on the unlock status of the iPhone.

3. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

+1

4. shel1 macrumors newbie

5. tbch2325 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks guys.

Just to get this right, If i get an unlocked phone from apple it will work when swapping out sims? If I get one that has been locked to a carrier and then unlocked it will lock once a new sim is inserted?

Also does it need to be reactivated with itunes when swapping carriers?

Thanks again,

6. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

If it unlocked by Apple, a carrier like AT&T or an IMEI unlock service it's unlocked. All you'd do is restore the iPhone through iTunes and a message will pop up saying "Congratulations, your iPhone is now unlocked." Your iPhone will never lock.

You can use whatever GSM provider you want freely. Example AT&T iPhone unlock it and use a T-Mobile sim or if you're going to Greece use a Vodaphone or Cosmote sim. Then when you're back in the States put your AT&T sim.

7. tonysg macrumors newbie

can you do that with a Verizon Iphone 4s ?

8. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

A Verizon 4S can be unlocked for international gsm providers only (Verizon will have to that).

Or if the Verizon 4S is on 5.1.1 or lower you could use a Gevey Turbo Sim to use with a domestic sim card.