iPhone Unlocked iPhone 5 ATT?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by asdf212, Jul 11, 2014.

1. asdf212 macrumors regular

I have an iPhone 5 ATT iOS7, is it possible to unlock?

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Maybe ...

AT&T has an unlock policy, if you qualify they will unlock it for free.
    Or, you can pursue an IMEI unlock from an aftermarket vendor - might be expensive however.

3. asdf212 thread starter macrumors regular

So what is the unlock policy? I purchased a 5S as part of an upgrade. DOes that qualify?

4. pdjudd macrumors 601

Generally not. Upgrades generally require contracts which means locking. If you got it at discount, it’s going to be locked and AT&T will not unlock it.

5. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you are in a 2 year contract, they won't unlock it.
    If you paid full price or your contract is satisfied, they might unlock it.

6. asdf212 thread starter macrumors regular

I mean I purchased a NEW iPhone 5s, and still have an old ipHOne5

7. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

you stated you purchase the new iPhone 5S as part of an upgrade, which meant you didn't pay the full $650/$750/$850 for 16GB/32GB/63GB

if that's true, then at&t will most likely not unlock the phone for you until you finish the 2 year contract. you can try calling at&t and see if they are willing to unlock it for you though

that, or you can go with a grey market unlock (which i believe is pretty pricey)

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As I understand your question, you want AT&T to unlock your older iPhone5.
    Request it, as stated, they will decide.
    Good luck.

9. Charadis macrumors 6502a

OP, your upgrade should now be tied to your new 5s, leaving your old iPhone 5 free from the original contract. You should have no problem requesting the unlock after 14 days, per AT&T's terms:

Terms found here.
    To request the unlock online, go here.

The OP is asking about his original phone, an iPhone 5. He stated that he recently upgraded to a new iPhone 5s in his second post, leaving his 5 free from the original contract.

OP is asking about unlocking his iPhone 5; he mentioned upgrading to iPhone 5s in his second post, so his older 5 should be free from contract terms upon the upgrade. Sent from my iPad.

10. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

i'm unfamiliar with their unlocking process, that's why i'm suggested the OP to call at&t and request the unlock from them

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

When you upgrade your phone with a new 2 year contract, you supersede the previous contract, which frees the older phone from the contract terms. Under AT&T's current terms, assuming all other standings met, the phone becomes eligible for unlocking, but the new phone (the OPs 5s) remains tied to the account and locked to AT&T.

Verizon iPhone 5, 5c, and 5s phones, however, are unlocked for GSM carriers right out of the box. I'm using a Verizon iPhone 5 on my AT&T account right now. Sent from my iPhone 5.

12. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

however, the OP implies he's doing the midway upgrade (he's not renewing a new 2 year contract, he's upgrading after being 1 year into the contract)

the implying comes from the OP going from the iPhone 5 to the 5S, and not the 4S to the 5S

13. asdf212 thread starter macrumors regular

If AT&T will NOT do it - is there another way to do this, and is there another software or someone who knows how to do this? Is it not as easy as it used to be?

14. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is no software to unlock it - those days are 4 years past and 3 generations of phones ago.
    Your option is an IMEI unlock and that is it.

15. asdf212 thread starter macrumors regular

OK is there a definitive thread to find someone reliable and reasonable to do this?

16. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard