Unlocked iPhone 5 but Apple says Locked?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by adamfishercox, Nov 19, 2012.

1. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I just bought a "factory unlocked" phone off eBay. It works fine on T-Mobile, but I'm pretty sure that it's not actually factory unlocked, just unlocked with an eBay IMEI service.

I don't really mind that, but the problem is when I called Apple to check, they told me it shows in their database as AT&T locked. Even though it shows as unlocked to me, if it's not showing that way in their database could that mean trouble down the line?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

As long as it works fine for you on Tmobile then its unlocked and it will not suddenly lock back for any reason.
    Just enjoy your phone and stop worrying;)

3. adamfishercox thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that it will not suddenly lock, but if I need it replaced they will give me an unlocked or a locked replacement depending on if it is truly factory locked or not.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

From what I heard if its carrier unlocked when they put in the old IMEI on their system you will get the same device replacement in return.
    Maybe on their system factory unlocked and carrier unlocked is listed different but in the end its the same thing.
    It will work with any gsm sim.

5. adamfishercox thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any way for the carrier to tell if they were the ones who unlocked it or if it was an eBay unlock service? I assume it's all just the same list but I don't know for sure.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its the same list and they cant tell who or why.
    Some customer service rep entered your imei to their unlocked database when someone purchased the ebay unlock.
    You will be ok.

7. SenseiPhone macrumors regular