Unlocked IPhone 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oldhifi, Dec 12, 2014.

1. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Can I purchase a unlocked IPhone 5S off Amazon or Best Buy and it will work with Virgin Mobile?

Virgin Mobile does not have any in stock

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Virgin Mobile in the USA, or outside the USA?

If you mean the USA then no. VM in the US is owned by Sprint. Sprint does not activate any phone not made for their network and since VM is owned by Sprint…

3. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

4. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

If I remember correctly, I'm not even sure if you can use a Sprint iPhone on Virgin Mobile either. You can only use a VM iPhone on their network.

Just looked at Virgin's website, and it seems to me like they're just clearing out inventory until they can launch the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. All they have available is the 4s, and the options for the 5c and 5s show discontinued configurations.

Virgin's plan options and discount device pricing looked attractive when I was shopping around. But, the device lock-in policies and spotty network coverage around where I live and work nixed Virgin Mobile from consideration.

5. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

Virgin Mobile IPhone

I like Verizon but way too much $$, I did not think VM would work where I live, but later found out it will, so I might change.

6. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

VM is "working" on a BYOP option. The only problem is that they've been working on it for about 2 years now.

So you cannot count on it happening any time soon.