Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 6S Plus - I have tested with AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. One thing I noticed on Verizon - using the unlocked iPhone 6S Plus I am typically on Band 13 (which gives slower upload/download speeds in my area).

My girlfriend's Verizon iPhone 6--when put side by side next to my iPhone 6S plus in the same location:
1. Her Verizon iPhone is on bands 2 or 4 (at 10 or 15mhz)
2. Mine stays on band 13 (slow, 5/10 mhz)

Was curious if anyone here is using an unlocked iPhone 6S on Verizon and noticed they have slower performance/less signal than someone using an iPhone 6S for Verizon.

Also the AT&T model has separate hardware to support band 30 and I wonder if this impedes on the signal picked up when using a Verizon SIM in this model?

Has anyone done any comparisons in this situation?

nadia p.

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
hi! I wanted to let you know I signed up for Verizon's service on a trial period today. Using *3001#12345#* I've checked the LTE bands I've been able to access. So far with only a few hours use I've accessed Freq Band Indicator 4 and 13.

Edit: AT&T iPhone 6s (A1633) unlocked

Last edited:
Reactions: willmtaylor

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Just checked using *3001#12345#* and I'm on band 4. I'm using the sim-free iPhone 6S plus on Verizon.

I don't notice my speeds any slower than what I had on my iPhone 6 that I purchased from Verizon. But I sold that to get the 6S plus so I can't test it unfortunately.

I wouldn't think that it would be slower as they support the same bands.

Last edited:

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
hi! I wanted to let you know I signed up for Verizon's service on a trial period today. Using *3001#12345#* I've checked the LTE bands I've been able to access. So far with only a few hours use I've accessed Freq Band Indicator 4 and 13.

Edit: AT&T iPhone 6s unlocked

If you can take a screenshot of the band+EARFCN and post it here that would be helpful!

nadia p.

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2013
I have discovered one important fact which has been confirmed by both Apple and Verizon.

If you have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 6s (A1633) and you activate Verizon as the carrier there is a iOS 9.2.1 software limitation specific to Verizon's Visual Voicemail only which will only allow this feature to work when Cellular Data is enabled regardless if Wi-Fi is enabled or not.

If Cellular Data is disabled you will see the following message displayed in the Phone app's Voicemail feature.

Visual Voicemail is currently unavailable.
Call Voicemail

When this happens two things occur, first you won't receive any updated notifications in the Phone app's Voicemail feature of new voice messages left for you to retrieve. Second you'll have to enable Cellular Data to download new messages to your phone, this can not be done over Wi-Fi with this particular model due to this software limitation You may still call Voicemail to check and monitor your messages.

While Cellular Data is disabled the only way to receive visual notification under the Phone app's Voicemail feature is to disable Verizon's Visual Voicemail using Verizon's app itself or on-line through Verizon's web site.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
I have discovered one important fact which has been confirmed by both Apple and Verizon.

If you have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 6s (A1633) and you activate Verizon as the carrier there is a iOS 9.2.1 software limitation specific to Verizon's Visual Voicemail only which will only allow this feature to work when Cellular Data is enabled regardless if Wi-Fi is enabled or not.

If Cellular Data is disabled you will see the following message displayed in the Phone app's Voicemail feature.

Visual Voicemail is currently unavailable.
Call Voicemail

When this happens two things occur, first you won't receive any updated notifications in the Phone app's Voicemail feature of new voice messages left for you to retrieve. Second you'll have to enable Cellular Data to download new messages to your phone, this can not be done over Wi-Fi with this particular model due to this software limitation You may still call Voicemail to check and monitor your messages.

While Cellular Data is disabled the only way to receive visual notification under the Phone app's Voicemail feature is to disable Verizon's Visual Voicemail using Verizon's app itself or on-line through Verizon's web site.

I'm pretty sure this is a limitation regardless of carrier and iOS version... Visual voicemail is nothing but and IMAP connection to the carrier. If you turn off cellular data, there's no way to get to the carrier. Some carriers with Wifi-Calling will allow VVM to use wifi, but otherwise it usually forces it to go over cellular. No cellular data, no VVM.

jpiszcz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Curious how you have liked using Verizon vs your previous carrier?

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 6S Plus - I have tested with AT&T, T-Mobile and Verizon. One thing I noticed on Verizon - using the unlocked iPhone 6S Plus I am typically on Band 13 (which gives slower upload/download speeds in my area).

My girlfriend's Verizon iPhone 6--when put side by side next to my iPhone 6S plus in the same location:
1. Her Verizon iPhone is on bands 2 or 4 (at 10 or 15mhz)
2. Mine stays on band 13 (slow, 5/10 mhz)

Was curious if anyone here is using an unlocked iPhone 6S on Verizon and noticed they have slower performance/less signal than someone using an iPhone 6S for Verizon.

Also the AT&T model has separate hardware to support band 30 and I wonder if this impedes on the signal picked up when using a Verizon SIM in this model?

Has anyone done any comparisons in this situation?
On my account there is a sim-free unlocked iPhone 6s Plus on Verizon using band 13, and two Verizon-version iPhone 6s phones also on band 13. I don't think the unlocked phone makes a difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.