Unlocked iPhone 8's in short supply?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ndpitch, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ndpitch macrumors 6502

I would prefer to just buy an iPhone 8 Plus outright and have the freedom of choosing my service. On Apple's website, the shipping estimates for an unlocked 8 plus is 2-3 weeks, and there doesn't appear to be any in stock in the Apple Stores. Yet, if you choose a service provider with the phone, it ships in 1-3 days and they're available in the store.

What is so different about an unlocked phone that their supply is constrained? I was hoping to be able to buy an unlocked iPhone 8 Plus in a store this week, but according to the website that's not going to happen evidently.

2. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

I see stock every day. Seems to show no stock overnight but plenty before the stores open the next day.

3. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

I like the unlocked option too but I just got my 8 from my carrier on launch day. After 40 days of use on network they will unlock it. I wanted the unlocked version too but styled for the carrier locked one and will wait out the 40 days.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 601

So I ordered a sim free model 8 Plus 256 gb space gray on Monday 9/25/17 for my father. Despite the fact that the website says 1-2 weeks. Yesterday, I checked my status and said prepared for shipping. Later that afternoon got an email that it was shipped and got my tracking number. It is being delivered today.

I'd say pur your order in, wait a couple days. You might be in for a surprise that it will ship soon.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unlike other iphone rollouts the 8 seems to be in stock more often, though the 8 plus I think may be a bit more constrained.

6. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Yeah, the “ships-by” estimates feel intentionally pessimistic this year. Under-promise and over-deliver?