Unlocked iPhone and contract obligation in the US

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Enjoylife1788, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

My sister is in Florida,US and she is planning to buy an unlocked iPhone 5, as and when it comes out. She is an at&t customer for last 3 years band she has a specific plan, under which she can opt for data plan on a monthly basis.

So the question is, if she buys a non-subdizided iPhone for full retail value and starts a data plan. So is she liable to keep it on for as long as she owns the iPhone or she can activate and deactivate according to her will, just the she does right now on her old htc phone.

Any current unlocked iPhone users, please clarify on this.

The reason for this that she needs data plan only she is traveling and otherwise, she has wifi everywhere throughout the day. So that's why it makes sense for her to get the unlocked one and not pay a premium on form of data plan every month.

Please help.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

She can go month to month, no problem. I return to the US twice a year and activate my AT&T data plan for one month while I'm there. I keep the number active through a minimal phone plan at $10 a month the rest of the year.

-t

3. donnaw macrumors 65816

Really? I thought that even if you have an unsubsidized smartphone they required a data plan. Interesting!

4. wpotere Guest

They can move it.. I'll report the thread.

5. forcetactic macrumors 6502

Yeah this is the case, especially with iPhones. ATT will catch her sometime and put a data plan on, regardless if she bought it unsubsidized and had the data opt out

6. Enjoylife1788, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011

Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do u have an iPhone??? Or some other phone??

Looks like there is ambuiguity on this topic. I am in India and my sister is not that much tech savvy. So could someone please ask if their friends are representatives or can ask this question along with some other doubt they have gone for.

I will really appreciate the help. :)

7. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

8. sbddude, Sep 19, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2011

sbddude macrumors 6502a

1. ATT always requires a data plan on any iPhone newer than the original (3G, 3gs, 4, and presumably the 5). There are some anecdotal references to success otherwise by doing a data block but for the most part count on needing a data plan.

2. Locked or unlocked iphone has nothing to do with data plan or contract. You can get a no-commitment pricing (i.e. full retail) iphone and it could be locked or unlocked. You can take a used iphone, bring it to att and activate with no contract. They will still require a data plan of course.

9. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

While she is here and the phone is active, she must have a data plan. It's that simple.

The other poster is stating that while in the country the data plan is active. It is when they leave the country that they put it on the $10/month plan....while they phone is inactive.

There is no ambiquity here.

10. Enjoylife1788 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess there is no way out then.. :(

Anyways, thank u all for clarifying on the topic. :)