Unlocked iPhone and internet question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBell, May 18, 2008.

1. CBell macrumors regular

If I wait and get a 3G iPhone and unlock it to use with another provider, will I still be able to use the internet features on it (like Safari, and Google Maps)?

If I remember correctly, those will not work with other providers now because the iPhone uses Edge and not 3G. Is that correct?

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

3. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

It will work.

The reason it might not work now, is if you're provide you moved to, didn't have EGDE support, then you won't get anything. But with 3G, assuming the frequencies work out, you'll have Google map and Safari no problem.

(But not visual voicemail, as it stands)

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

It depends on what country you're in. If you're in the US, if you get a current iPhone, it'll work (unlocked) with voice and data with AT&T or T-Mobile. If you get a 3G iPhone, the data on T-Mobile will be EDGE, not 3G. If you're somewhere else in the world, let us know where you're located and what provider you'd use and we can help you figure out what you can or can't use.

5. CBell thread starter macrumors regular

I'm in the U.S. and I was thinking about using it with Verizon.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That is highly (99.99%) unlikely to be possible under any circumstance, because no aspect of the 3G iPhone (or the 2G iPhone now) is expected to work with Verizon's CDMA technology or their EV-DO... It's not just the data (HSPA, the 3G that GSM carriers use, is not the same as EV-DO, the 3G that Verizon uses) -- not even the phone aspect of the iPhone works on Verizon (because Verizon uses CDMA and not GSM).

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

No love. Verizon uses CMDA, and the iPhone is a GSM phone. They can't be used together, not matter how you unlock it.

Maybe when AT&T moves to LTE(Verizon is moving there too), Apple will release a LTE iPhone.

8. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

An unlocked iPhone will work (both voice/data) on ANY GSM Network. If a provider is running a CDMA network then it won't work.

9. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Like others have said, not a bloody chance in hell it'll work with Verizon at all.

10. CBell thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, haha, ok.

What providers use GSM?

The only reason why I don't like ATT is because I don't get any reception at all (not even enough to send out a text) in my house, and it gets really frustrating. One of my friends had Sprint and got pretty decent reception in my house, but he hated Sprint, and I haven't heard good things about it from other people either.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I think you're looking at T-Mobile. :cool:

12. CBell thread starter macrumors regular

Thing is, I don't know anybody that has T-Mobile, so I don't know what the reception would be in my house. I wish I could borrow one of their phones at the store and test it out at my house. If I knew ATT had such horrible reception in my house I wouldn't have gone with them, lol.

13. onlycopunk macrumors 6502

TMobile, just like any other provider has a 30 day grace period. You can always just pick up a cheap pay as you go deal and take it around with you to see if you get service.

14. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Technically they should have the same coverage as AT&T and T-mo use mostly the same towers...

Maybe the bad AT&T reception was due to your friend's phone? and not necessarily the service?