unlocked iphone and itunes/app store

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pramodkp, Jan 19, 2009.

1. pramodkp macrumors newbie

Hi there!
    Can I use itunes or Appstore to download music or applications to my unlocked 3G iphone (I have a data plan)? I am a novice in the use of itunes or Mac in particular and is a bit scared to connect my phone to my imac :confused:. I read some posts here that the phone got locked etc and is not sure if I should attempt.

I was told not to register this phone with apple when i bought it but can i sync it with my itunes or is there any harm with it?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

p_k

2. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

You should be able to I dont think apple really checks if the phones hacked or not. iTunes 8.0.2 sync's just fine with a hacked iphone 3g (haven't done yell0wsn0w or what ever its called just a normal pwning).

I'd wait till someone else could confirm or deny wether it bricks the phone or not.

3. pramodkp thread starter macrumors newbie

pwn?

sorry I am newbee and dont understand much of the jargon
    what is yellostone and pwning?

Thanks
    p_k

4. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Pwning is unlocking an iPhone, and Yellowsn0w is the software unlock for the iPhone 3g. Hope this helps.

5. roraon macrumors newbie

6. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

in simple terms, yes you can use the app store and your itunes account on your unlocked/jailbroken phone with no problems.:)

7. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

There is no problem. Your phone will not get "Bricked" by plugging it into iTunes, no matter if it is unlocked, jailbroken or both. Bricking isn't even possible.

8. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Just for further confirmation to convince you that there will be no problems, THERE WILL BE NO PROBLEMS.

David

9. mabebabe macrumors newbie

Unlocked phones and I-Tunes bricking

I bought an unlocked phone (sold as new) on e-bay and connected it up to ITunes - the device was showing as 'Ann' so I decided to do a reset. This bricked the phone. I took it to a phone unlocker who has taken it away as the SIM holder has got mis-shapen (I tried an O2 and vodaphone card to try and unlock). He says it will need re-unlocking once he's able to sort out the SIM holder.

Will the phone work with ITunes once it is re-unlocked?