Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vesnyder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
I was told by an AT&T rep that the AT&T iPhone sold at the Apple store are unlocked. Is this accurate?

Thanks

vesnyder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
So you are saying that if I buy the iPhone from the Apple store that is tied to an AT&T account and is discounted (AT&T subsidized) that the phone is locked to AT&T?

vesnyder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
Same with Verizon? I heard at one point that all the Verizon iPhones come unlocked.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Same with Verizon? I heard at one point that all the Verizon iPhones come unlocked.
Verizon iPhones since iPhone 5 are basically factory unlocked.

That said, I believe Apple stores sell just completely unlocked iPhones not tied to any particular carrier (until you get a SIM for whatever carrier you want to use basically).

vesnyder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2009
CDM - Thanks. That is the impression I had as well - that the Apple store sells unlocked iPhones.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
CDM - Thanks. That is the impression I had as well - that the Apple store sells unlocked iPhones.
Right, they do. Just not all of the phones they sell are unlocked, depends on which one you get and how you are getting it (part of some carrier upgrade/subsidy program, or doing some sort of financing through a carrier, or just buying it for full price, etc.).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.