Unlocked iPhone.... Is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aliencowboy69, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Aliencowboy69 macrumors member

Got offered an unlocked 32gb iPhone 4 the other day for decent money so decided to buy it just to sell on as I already have 1. However, after I bought it I remembered the problem I encountered with the last unlocked iPhone and wondered if I would encounter the same problems here.

My friend had iPhone 3GS on o2 that he was selling so I said I would have bought it if it would take my orange sim. Day or 2 later he called me up and told me he had got o2 to unlock it, I tried my sim iit and it worked so I bought it. Couple months later I went for iPhone 4 and sold 3GS to another friend who was on o2 but wouldn't accept his sim card. Turns out when u2 had unlocked it so it could take my orange sim either they or orange then locked it down to orange network and to change it back to accept o2 would cost £15.

Is the iPhone 4 going to cause the same problems? Did I just hit those problems because it was originally purchased on contract from o2? Or am I likely to run into them again here? There is a vodafone sim card with the phone but a little afraid to connect to iTunes and set up incase it locks on
    Vodafone. If this fone was bought from the shop as an unconnected handset can it be changed to different networks without the £15 unlock fee?

2. Constantine1337 macrumors 6502

No operator can lock an unlocked phone. I'm pretty sure its illegal too. I'm guessing you did something wrong. The unlocked iPhone is your property, nobody can limit it usage in any way once its unlocked.

3. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

If the iP4 were purchased directly unlocked from Apple, then you will never have a problem with any carrier.

However, if the phone is carrier supplied (such as by Vodafone), then regardless of whether it was bought on contract or outright, it will be locked to that specific carrier. Carriers currently have no way of unlocking an iP4, and it might take years before they can.

Only phones bought in Europe, Canada, Australia (and many other countries except the States) from Apple online or an Apple store come unlocked.

4. Zcott macrumors 68020

Not sure why you say that. My 3GS was unlocked by my carrier (O2 UK) and I don't see why they couldn't repeat it with my iPhone 4. I don't need to test it because I now have a factory unlocked phone direct from Apple.

5. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

Nonsense.

Carriers have been able to unlock the iPhone 4 since the day it was launched.

My iPhone 4 has been unlocked (for free) by my carrier (O2:UK).

6. acfusion29, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Rogers in Canada will unlock the iPhone for for you... after you pay $500 to get out of the contract.

7. SnowDX macrumors 6502

This is wrong. If you take a look here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1937?viewlocale=en_US Apple lists each carrier that provides authorized unlocking (although not up to date as of yet as Rogers in Canada now unlocks iPhones).

8. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

My bad. When I inquired about unlocking the 4 a few months ago, I was laughed away.

It was only recently that in many parts of the world, carriers willingly unlocked the 3GS.

If Rogers is asking $500, :rolleyes:

9. outphase macrumors 65816

If you buy direct from Apple, it is factory unlocked.

10. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Rogers in Canada can unlock your iPhone when your 3 year contract comes to term. I believe the same is true of most non-US carriers.

Also, I don't believe it costs $500. I'm pretty sure it's something closer to $5. Unlocking when your contract is up has nothing to do with paying an early termination fee.

11. deeesea macrumors 6502

I heard that when your contract expires you pay a fee of 50 dollars and Rogers will unlock your phone.

Also, I thought all american iphones were locked to ATT while the ones in Canada (if purchased @ the apple store) was sold unlocked?

12. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

So is Rogers (and other Canadian carriers) unlocking only after the 3-year term? What if the phone were bought outright?

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Bought outright from Apple? It should be unlocked. If you bought it full price from Rogers you can probably unlock it now.

I don't know how much it costs to unlock the device. I suspect the law will eventually mandate carriers to unlock devices when they come to term at no cost, but until that happens you'll have to either eat the cost of the unlock (whatever it is) or jailbreak your phone.