Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
So I'm pretty sure that I know the answer, but before I put down a few hundred dollars for a used iphone, I had a question. If I currently have cingular and want to use the iphone without paying anything more monthly, I could do that by using the pwnage tool to unlock it and then turning off the GSM/EDGE networking, right? Everywhere I usually am is within a wireless network so I don't really see the need to pay extra for the GSM. Is it possible to turn off GSM so that it would only connect to wireless networks?
Just so I know what I'm getting into, besides just internet browsing, what else relies on the GSM network? I presume the "GPS" like feature on either type of iPhone would need it. I can't think of too much else though. What do you all think? Would turning an iphone into a ipod touch + regular phone at the same monthly cingular price be a wise move?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I'm confused... GSM generally refers to the network in an overarching sense -- telephone functions rely on GSM mode, and if you turn off GSM, the iPhone will not be able to make or receive phone calls or send/receive SMS. As far as I know, there's no way to set the phone up to be able to use Wifi but not any cellular services on the 2G / EDGE iPhone -- the only way to turn off the cellular radio is to enter airplane mode, which also turns off Wifi. Wifi can be turned on/off independently, and on the 3g iPhone, 3G can be disabled, but not just all cellular without turning off wifi.

If what you want is GSM + WiFi but no cellular data services (GPRS/EDGE), depending on your service, if you don't have a data plan, any data attempts will just be refused. I'm not really sure how Cingular works (you may have to specifically request this), but with T-Mobile, you're unable to use data services unless you have a data plan, so you cannot "accidentally" rack up data charges while you're on the domestic network.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Oh I am really sorry, I guess that I meant just EDGE. I would still want to be able to make phone calls, but just not transfer data when not near a wifi spot. Thanks for the advice though.

EDIT: I found this video that explains a method for disabling edge, but I'm not sure if it still works.

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
I'm not sure about now but I remember Bossprefs being able to disable edge.
Also, if you just change the APN I think it just perm disable edge since it can't connect. (Don't take my word for it though, I'm not 100% sure.)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Also, if you just change the APN I think it just perm disable edge since it can't connect. (Don't take my word for it though, I'm not 100% sure.)

I don't think this works for AT&T / Cingular users -- I thought they could access data without an APN being listed. (It would work for T-Mobile, but as above, with T-Mo you just need to drop your data plan).

The bossprefs thing might be something to look into, though.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I just called cingular and they said that data transfer can be disabled on a phone. If nothing else, that would work right? As long as the data is disabled, I shouldn't be charged anything extra if I'm not near a wifi network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.