Unlocked iPhone or iPod Touch 16Gb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ddrueckhammer, Sep 13, 2007.

1. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

So I pre-ordered an 16Gb iPod Touch for my girlfriend as a surprise for our anniversary. We are currently T-mobile subscribers and don't want to switch to AT&T. I would just ask my girlfriend if she would want the unlocked iPhone instead but I want it to be a surprise.

If I get her an iPhone and unlock it for T-mobile, can the phone be used without a data plan? ie Wifi only? We currently don't have a data plan and i'm worried that we would be charged obscene rates if she automatically receives emails etc.

Does anyone know if Apple/AT&T have the ability to send updates automatically (without the user's consent) that could potentially render the phone part useless?

What do you guys think? If you were getting a gift for your significant other, would you stick with the safe and just get the touch over risking an unlocked iPhone? Do you think that the 16Gb is more desirable than having the phone/camera etc features if you already have a decent flip phone?

I searched some threads but didn't see anything exactly like my questions so I hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance!

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

It appears that you have to specifically modify the settings for EDGE to get it to work with T-Mobile's system. So if you do not do that, you should be restricted to just WiFi.