Unlocked iPhone question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by no-engine, Sep 8, 2008.

1. no-engine macrumors newbie

First question - trying to understand what the difference is for an unlocked iPhone? Useable with more carriers?

Also, Why do we see Verizon ad at top of some pages? Since ATT is exclusive carrier for iPhones. Will we be able to use an unlocked phone?

My next phone will be an iPhone, when my Verizon contract has expired in about six months; however, ATT service is not very good where I am.

I love being able to scroll through images, as a portfolio to prospective clients.

One more forum to watch!!! Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

1) An iPhone with EDGE can be SIM unlocked meaning that it can be used with any GSM carrier worldwide and can be used with data plans that don't officially support the iPhone even on the licensed carriers. It does not allow the use of the iPhone on CDMA carriers such as Verizon and Sprint. The iPhone 3G is not unlockable at this time.

2) MacRumors uses standard ad feeds... if you find an ad offensive, please report it using the Contact Us link. But the fact that we have Verizon advertising (we have a number of Verizon users who use some phone other than the iPhone) is not indicative of any rumor about a CDMA iPhone.

3) The iPhone, both in EDGE and 3G variants, is lovely. I <3 mine.

3. no-engine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...
    We'll stick around, as we love our Mac products since 1990!