Unlocked iphone, things to know

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stewartlittle, Aug 18, 2008.

1. stewartlittle macrumors regular

Hi all, I appoligize now if this has been covered before. I have done a few searches and can't seem to nail down what I am looking for.

To start, I have never bought an unlocked phone before. Come early next year, I am moving from Canada to Australia temporarily. Since I am with bell now, I will need to get a phone that i can switch sims, as bell phones you cannot. I am looking at getting an unlocked iphone or iphone 3g. I am not sure which is more suited to my needs. I just want a phone combined with ipod touch features so i dont have to carry around both. My question is, when buying an unlocked iphone, what do i have to watch out for or keep in mind. Is there anything i should be aware of. Sorry for the vague questions, i am just weary as i have never done sim switching or anything of such before.

2. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

You can only buy unlocked from Australia, New Zealand, Italy, and Hong Kong as far as I know. I think only Hong Kong and Italy's are unlocked out of the box, others you have to pay a fee to unlock.

Until the Dev team releases a 3G unlock, but it won't be "official" from Apple. I'd say buy a unlocked one from Australia. That's what I'm doing.