Unlocked iPhone Users: How much have you paid for DATA?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ninja Dom, Nov 23, 2007.

1. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Hi all,

So I've got an unlocked iPhone here in London. I'm still running 1.0.2 and run it on my Vodafone UK sim card (contract). I bought the iPhone from ebay towards the end of October.

I got in touch with Vodafone just out of curiosity to see how much I had paid so far for data for the month of November. I SHOULD get 100Mb data allowance for free.

Checking the usage on the iPhone reads that I've sent 10Mb and received nearly 50Mb over EDGE. I always stick WiFi on when I'm at home.

Anyway, I've been charged for ALL of my data so far and racked up almost £40 in data charges. I asked why and the advisor told me that he didn't know why as it should be free for me. He went to check and the reply was that my 100Mb allowance DOESN'T include using the Vodafone internet APN. If I had been using the Vodafone WAP APN then I wouldn't have been charged. the iPhone cannot use the Vodafone WAP APN.

They are crediting me back the amount for this month and have asked me to use the Vodafone WAP APN in future (which i can't do).

I mean data is data, right? Regardless of what you use or how you connect, right? Or are Vodafone deliberately discriminating against unlocked iPhones on their network (which they can do as they are fully aware of what IMEI number is being used for a call or data)??

How much has your data charges been with your unlocked iPhones?? Is this right??

2. page3 macrumors 6502

Data is very expensive in the UK, with many tariffs only giving 100K (not 100Mb) free. For me, this totally killed advanced use of previous phones, as I was too scared of racking up massive data use. Only recently has (limited) data packages been available, and then severely limited except for T-mobile.

This makes the official O2 tariffs rather good. I've racked up over £75 pounds already if I was on my old tariff.

Not what you asked, but the O2 tariff is actually rather good, for a certain subset of customers - me included.

3. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

O2 now do a £7.50 bolt on for unlimited Internet (strict fair usage policy included!)

With the Vodafone thing, could it be the way you're connecting? Could it be because you're technically connecting either over 3G instead of GPRS or GPRS as opposed to the even more agonizingly slow WAP connection? Just a thought.

4. Ninja Dom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

With the iPhone there is only one APN profile you can have. You cannot have multiple APN profiles like most phones that may have APN profiles such as "Contract Internet", "Contract WAP", "Pay As You Go WAP", etc...

5. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Rogers

I got the 10mb for 10bucks

and the first 3 months is unlimitted

i already have 153 sent and 234recieved

im screwed for when the 3months if over

6. SilverGlass macrumors newbie

When I got my last phone with Orange I was using data a lot (mostly mail, but some browsing) and my first bill was over £90 on a £30 tariff. So I stopped using it - it was just way to expensive. As Page3 says, this totally killed advanced use of previous phones, and makes the £35 O2 contract worthwhile... until the other networks follow suit and stop ripping us off over data, that is.

7. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

you get 250MB for 10€ in Germany but it's GPRS :eek:

8. lebo macrumors newbie

voltage differences

i have an urgent question. in all the excitement of the iphone i purchased on unlocked from the states last month and am using it in southern Africa. our voltage here is 240 or is it 220v. so i know u can charge it through the wall outlet ok because the charger supports 110 - 240v, but what about through the computer charging and syncing. the voltage of the iphone is 110v and my computer is 240v. what should i do so as not to blow up my iphone when connecting it to the computer??? please help ASAP.....

9. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

It works fine because it's USB...

I pay £7.50 a month for 120MB on Vodafone

10. lebo macrumors newbie

I'm sorry i don't fully understand would u mind elaborating on USB and how they affect voltage pls.

11. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

I bought the £7.50 bolt-on and it works a treat...

12. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

As far as I am aware, it doesn't matter what your computer uses because the iPhone plugs into any USB2.0 slot and will work/charge.

My iPhone is from America; I am in England. We use different voltages. The iPhone has DC input, from the USB so it isn't like plugging it into the mains.

Even if you plug it into the mains, it comes with a transformer, so you'll be ok.

13. Hellenek macrumors member

I'm based in Uganda East Africa and I'm currently paying USD 117 monthly for unlimited data on Edge. I think its too high but don't have many options right now.

14. mara macrumors newbie

15. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

hmm T-Mobile UK > payandgo > £1 a day for 60mb ! (you only get charged the days you use it !)

16. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

How did you set this up...what password etc got you on the right vodafone network eg APN? username? password?

How long have you been using this? you havent had any additional charges?

Please reply I need to do this properly.

17. Ninja Dom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

For my Vodafone monthly contract network settings I have,

APN: internet
    username: web
    password: web

18. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

uh oh I have been using internet wap wap......how do we know what we are supposed to use to be on the £7.50 bolt on I paid for?

19. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

No one know which is the right password etc to be using?

20. Ninja Dom thread starter macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

Just changed mine to internet, wap, wap.

I'll give it a days use and then contact Vodafone again to see if I've been charged the same or if it's come out of my allowance.

21. nowaycomputer macrumors newbie

I'm using the £7.50 bolt on as well, can I ask which settings you are using to connect?

Cheers

22. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

These are 100% the settings you need for the Vodafone bolt-on at £7.50, with your Vodafone contract are:

APN: internet
    username: wap
    password: wap

It's different for PAYG

23. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Regardless of where in the world you are, or what type of power system your wall outlet supplies, every USB host and device in the universe uses the exact same voltages: 5V for the power supply and 3.3V for the data signals. There are no exceptions. When you plug a USB device such as an iPhone into a PC's USB port, you're always going to get the correct voltages. (Unless you're working with a PC whose USB port has suffered physical or electrical damage in the past - then all bets are off.)

The adaptors that you can use to charge your iPhone by plugging it into a wall outlet all work by using special circuitry which converts the mains power supply (typically 110V - 240V AC) into the necessary 5V DC power supply required by the iPhone as imposed by the USB standard.

24. thetonyclifton macrumors regular

That is the settings I am using, can I ask how you are 100% sure? Have you asked vodafone? been billed?