Unlocked iPhone: What happens if...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Jul 25, 2008.

1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

I was wondering as a first gen iphone owner and now with the new 3g that is being unlocked.

What happens if you go to an ATT store with an iphone unlocked with your 3 years old contract to get help. Maybe i am not explaining my self good but for example you have been having signal problem lately or something ATT problem side related.

They will just blame the phone?

Maybe make me get a new contract?

Maybe i will get in trouble?

I am asking because always that i call or go to ask something or a att side problem they always ask for phone model and they will see my contract is not iphone relate done.

2. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

3. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i really dont know what you mean by 'three years contract'.. can you please explain yourself a bit more clearly as i am struggling to comprehend...

4. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

I don't understand either, but the iPhone 3G hasn't been unlocked. Unless you got it from another country that sells them unlocked.

5. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean if i have an unlocked 3g iphone (in a future) like i have a first gen one unlocked and i walk into an att store just to get help or tell them to fix a att problem and they see i got an iphone with another contract and uncloked what will happen?

6. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Do you mean using the unlocked iphone on T-mobile or other carrier and taking it to the ATT store for support? If so, why the heck would they attend to you.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It would pretty much depend on the problem.

For one thing, unless the problem IS with the phone, there is no point in going to a store to seek help. For plan changes, account issues, or reporting service problems, you call 611, and they can help you there just fine.

The only time you might need to visit a store is if the problem is with your SIM. There they might ask to see your phone. On the other hand, you could just drop by a store, ask if they have any spare SIMs, and if they're good about, they'll give you one. Or they may charge you $25, depending on the sale reps' mood.

If the problem IS directly related to the iPhone, AT&T doesn't service them. They will direct you to an Apple store or to Apple's phone support line. At that point, you're probably going to be SOL. If you can't give them a phone number that has an iphone plan and is attached to that phone's IMEI, you probably won't get service. And if they get wind that you jailbroke/unlocked your iPhone, they won't touch it at all.

8. theevilone macrumors member

restore it though itunes before going to the store. I like to go to the apple store and hold my hacked phone where reps can see it asking questions.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The OPs use of language makes my head hurt...

10. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

You're right. English isn't his native language, so let's ban him and not offer him help.

OP: If you unlock your phone, AT&T/Apple will terminate your warranty. If you have a problem with your phone and they see that it's unlocked, you may not get any help from either of them. You can't get in trouble -- it's your phone and you can do with it as you'd like. AT&T MAY charge you a fee, I don't think anyone knows yet. But they can certainly revoke any warranty privileges if you unlock.

11. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

nice to know, and sorry english is my third language i know spanish and french sorry if i cause any harm.

12. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

No, some people are just ignorant and don't follow board rules by discriminating against non-english speakers ;)