Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
I currently have a cheap Fido voice plan for my phone here in Canada. No data plan. I want to get an iPhone, unlock it, and put my Fido SIM inside.

I just want to use the voice part of the phone, and the iPod part, and I only want to use Wifi for data.

Will it try and access the data network here and charge me up the wazoo? Or can I tell it that the data network doesn't exist so it doesn't try to connect to it when there's no Wifi?

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I currently have a cheap Fido voice plan for my phone here in Canada. No data plan. I want to get an iPhone, unlock it, and put my Fido SIM inside.

I just want to use the voice part of the phone, and the iPod part, and I only want to use Wifi for data.

Will it try and access the data network here and charge me up the wazoo? Or can I tell it that the data network doesn't exist so it doesn't try to connect to it when there's no Wifi?

By default EDGE won't be setup so no need to worry. I did the same with Rogers. I unlocked my iPhone and it's now my cell phone and by default EDGE is setup to try and access Cingular's networks, so it doesn't work. :)

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
By default EDGE won't be setup so no need to worry. I did the same with Rogers. I unlocked my iPhone and it's now my cell phone and by default EDGE is setup to try and access Cingular's networks, so it doesn't work. :)
DeathChill,

That's totally awesome. So when you try and go to Weather or Stocks or Safari when there's no WiFi around you get no data whatsoever? And when you are in a WiFi area you get full data access on all of those apps?

If that's true I am getting an iPhone ASAP.

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

you should just error out when you don't have wifi access

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
DeathChill,

That's totally awesome. So when you try and go to Weather or Stocks or Safari when there's no WiFi around you get no data whatsoever? And when you are in a WiFi area you get full data access on all of those apps?

If that's true I am getting an iPhone ASAP.
Yep, it just says that you're not an EDGE subscriber and it couldn't connect to EDGE but once you're using WiFi it's all good.

killerPhoneWant

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2007
So i'm an AT&T customer but don't have a data plan. can i just enter crappy settings for the edge part and thus it wont connect to edge? I really just want to use it as a voice phone + wifi for now. Has anyone tried this. If so, i'm buying one right now!

jialuolu

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2005
Canada
Edge is not used while sending Sms's.
So it shoundn't be affected.

Really? I was wondering this exact same thing. But if it isn't using EDGE, how is it sending data over the network? Man, I'm so excited about getting an iPhone in Canada :D

Skull21

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2005
So i'm an AT&T customer but don't have a data plan. can i just enter crappy settings for the edge part and thus it wont connect to edge? I really just want to use it as a voice phone + wifi for now. Has anyone tried this. If so, i'm buying one right now!
Anyone have an answer to this?

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2006

A friend of mine was considering doing the same. Theorectically it works, i think there is a thread about someone using the phone with edge off but with some other carrier using the same method u mentioned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.