Unlocked iPhone without data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hypebeast, Jul 26, 2010.

1. hypebeast macrumors newbie

Hi, my brother currently has an iPhone 3GS and is going to upgrade to the iPhone 4. He said he would let me have his current 3GS if I wanted it. However, I don't want the data plan. I currently have an HTC Fuze, another AT&T smartphone, but do not have a data plan, and voice only. I was wondering if I unlocked the 3GS and put in fake APNs, would I have to add a data plan? Thank you

2. MicroApple macrumors regular

They can detect what phone you are using through the SIM locked or not. If they see an iPhone on your account without a dataplan it will most likely be added. (They don't care if your brother went 2 years with the dataplan out of the contract or not) Their policy if you have a SmartPhone like the iPhone and subsidized or not it will be charged a data plan.

If they don't add it your lucky.

3. hypebeast thread starter macrumors newbie

But the thing is, I currently have a smartphone with AT&T without a data plan. Would they just upgrade my plan automatically? I've used my phone for 2 years without one. They actually signed me to a new contract without a data plan.

4. MicroApple macrumors regular

The new rule was instituted with AT&T about 7 months ago (give or take) so you probably bought it before it came in. But adding the new phone would charge the data plan onto your account.

5. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

Yea they now require data plans for all smartphones. You will get caught if you have an iPhone. Best thing to do is, just use the 3GS without a SIM on wifi. Jailbreak it, have fun. Just make calls on your HTC

6. MicroApple macrumors regular

Mhmm plus use skype to make VOIP calls so you can use it as a phone. Better yet use the free Google Voice service (they give you a real phone number) so you can make and receive calls like a real phone without phone service, and send and receive text messages. It'll be your phone number all for free. Probably better choice if you don't want data. Only problem is you'll need a WiFi spot to make VOIP work.

7. snowman1 macrumors regular

I'm not sure if you'd be willing to go on a prepaid plan or not but you might be able to try out something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-AT-T-ATT-Go-Phone-Prepaid-Micro-Sim-Card-iPad-3G-/180517889655?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item2a07b46677

The above link is actually for a microsim (iphone 4 only), but it's generally the same idea: get a prepaid sim card and put it into the iphone 3gs.

This SHOULD allow you to circumvent AT&Ts data plans, but I'm not entirely sure. Correct me if I'm wrong, but what can att do if you don't have a regular plan and if they don't even have your billing information?

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yep, when they detect your using an ipho e with no data they will send you a text saying a data plan has been added to your account. No way around it unless you go on prepaid.
    Or go with the $15 data plan. It's not that bad.