Unlocked iphone X Pre-order

mokbelg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
As usual there no Sim-free version on the preorder of iphone X
now i don't have an account on at&t or Verzion... and i want to pre-order on the 27th and pay in full
any ideas?
i asked apple support about the T-mobile version as it's written ( Unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile SIM ) on apple website
but she assured that i will still need to activate it at T-mobil shop after i got it
so any ideas?
Thanks

IGotOne

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2017
Las Vegas, NV
Join a carrier or wait for the SIM free model. Otherwise I should have a few to sell on launch day. Pricing may be a little nauseating though, just fair warning. If I don't get upwards of $2500 I'll be a little disappointed, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they end up going for higher than that give the buzz. We shall see.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
now i don't have an account on at&t or Verzion... and i want to pre-order on the 27th and pay in full
any ideas?
i asked apple support about the T-mobile version as it's written ( Unlocked iPhone with T-Mobile SIM ) on apple website
but she assured that i will still need to activate it at T-mobil shop after i got it
so any ideas?
Thanks
It depends on what carrier you have and if you have any plans switching carriers. Verizon and Sprint models uses Qualcomm so it works on Both CDMA and GSM carriers world wide. However, this requires a post paid account you plan on buying it at apple.com.

AT&T and T-Moble uses intel and only works on GSM carriers. However most places and countries uses GSM so really you will be just fine getting the T-mobile model (as long as you don't plan on switching to carriers that relies on CDMA). T-mobile model comes unlocked when purchased at apple.com. All you need to do is remove the sim that comes with it and insert your own.

mokbelg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
It depends on what carrier you have and if you have any plans switching carriers. Verizon and Sprint models uses Qualcomm so it works on Both CDMA and GSM carriers world wide. However, this requires a post paid account you plan on buying it at apple.com.

AT&T and T-Moble uses intel and only works on GSM carriers. However most places and countries uses GSM so really you will be just fine getting the T-mobile model (as long as you don't plan on switching to carriers that relies on CDMA). T-mobile model comes unlocked when purchased at apple.com. All you need to do is remove the sim that comes with it and insert your own.

so all i need to do is remove Tmobil sim and add any other GSM SIm and it will works fine? not like the apple online chat representive that i need to go to Tmobile store to activate it?
thanks

Sunil_k

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
I usually preoder the tmobile version. Once i get it here in india, i remove the tmo sim, pop in my vodafone and it works!

mokbelg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2017
I usually preoder the tmobile version. Once i get it here in india, i remove the tmo sim, pop in my vodafone and it works!
You dont even activate it on usa?
U use gsm network in india?
Thanks

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA
This has been true in the past of T Mobile units, however, I would like a totally unlocked version so it could possibly be used on AT&T, Verizon, etc. I guess it's some carrier agreement to not offer SIM free units on day one. I'll stick with my iPhone 8 until it IS available.

Sunil_k

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2015
You dont even activate it on usa?
U use gsm network in india?
Thanks
Not at all. I order the fone and have it delivered to my brother's place. He ships it to me. Once i receive it, i take out the tmo sim, slip on the vodafone sim and activate it.

Thats it.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
I usually do the same. Order a T-Mobile version on launch date then once I get it in Saudi I just ignore that sim and use my local sim and all is good and dandy.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I was planning on preordering the AT&T and paying in full since I'm an AT&T Prepaid customer. Testing it on the 8 it won't let me. Says my account isn't an iPhone account or something. Ironic given that I have a 6S Plus. I wasn't expecting this and it looks like its going to **** me from getting a X anytime soon.

BFG86

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2011
They might offer a sim-free model at launch this year.
There was no sim-free model advertised for the iPhone 8 prior to the pre-order and then when pre-orders opened it became an option.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You would need a postpaid account to order the AT&T model. Just order the T-Mobile phone instead. It's the same phone.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
There was no sim-free model advertised for the iPhone 8 prior to the pre-order and then when pre-orders opened it became an option.
Actually the sim free version of the 8 was shown from the beginning. Before pre-orders.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
I usually do the same. Order a T-Mobile version on launch date then once I get it in Saudi I just ignore that sim and use my local sim and all is good and dandy.
Ok. I'm quoting myself as previous years used to advertise the T-Mobile version as a sim-free model (but it doesn't at the moment).
I'm stating this so no one holds me accountable for this and now I'm worried about my plan of ordering the T-Mobile variant.

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
You would need a postpaid account to order the AT&T model. Just order the T-Mobile phone instead. It's the same phone.
Yeah that's what I'm going to try and do. I just checked the 8 page and it didn't seem to be a problem. Glad I did a dry run on this today.

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
Actually for the iphone 8 and 8 Plus, the sim-free model showed available right after the Apple's event on 9/12/17. Apple wouldn't just have it magically pop up right at the pre-order for the 8 and 8 Plus. So definitely not going to happen with the iPhone X.

MajicSho

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2016
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Just found this online posted by CokePokes (Developer of Phantom for Snapchat).
So no sim-free version confirmed yet for launch but the AT&T variant as well as the T-Mobile one will work with any GSM Network.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
any ideas?
so any ideas?
Thanks
You could pay full price on ATT account and it would be unlocked, wouldn't it? (I think)

tensor9

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, just to be clear. For the early financing approval, I only had the option to choose AT&T, my current carrier. I am right now in the process of switching to T-mobile. I went ahead and chose AT&T as my carrier, per the Apple support guy.

So, basically when I get the phone I just slap in my T-Mobile SIM and go?

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Yeah it will but i dont have an att account
Yeah, but I'm just making a point if buying it at full price.
[doublepost=1508994616][/doublepost]
Ok, just to be clear. For the early financing approval, I only had the option to choose AT&T, my current carrier. I am right now in the process of switching to T-mobile. I went ahead and chose AT&T as my carrier, per the Apple support guy.

So, basically when I get the phone I just slap in my T-Mobile SIM and go?
Pay full price and it's slap and go....