Unlocked iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by julianewus, Jun 28, 2010.

1. julianewus macrumors member

Okay so I am going to france in a couple weeks, and I was wondering, since France sells unlocked iPhones, can you bring it back to the states, and use it with any carrier, as well as att should I choose?

I just dont want to buy the iphone 4, then not be able to use it....... :p

so can I buy it, then use it in the US?

2. draz macrumors 6502a

Yes you can use it with AT&T and to some extent T-Mobile, or whatever carrier that has a GSM network.

3. julianewus thread starter macrumors member

absolutely sure? have you heard of any instances of people doing it? maybe a link to an article of someone doing it?

even though I cannot find an instance of someone doing it.

4. draz macrumors 6502a

There won't be many posts about someone going to France and buying an unlocked iPhone and bringing back to use in the US..

But as long as the phone is unlocked (which is how Apple retail stores in France sell it), you can use it on any network that supports it anywhere in the world.

Here is a link if you want to read it... It is in French but translate it if you can:
    http://store.apple.com/fr/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ#faqs

If you want an English version... Read the Canadian one:
    http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ#faqs

5. farmermac macrumors 6502a

You're going to have crappy edge speeds on T-mobile. If you're OK with that, then go nuts and get the phone and use it on T-mobile. I am on tmobile with a 3GS and switching to AT&T with the iPhone 4

6. julianewus thread starter macrumors member

well, Ill still use it with att, but Im on my parents plan now, and well should I ever choose to go on my own plan, which may happen soon, I may opt to go to a different carrier.

sadly I dont think I could use verizon could I?

7. draz macrumors 6502a

No you can't use it with Verizon as they operate on a different cell-phone technology that the iPhone doesn't support.

8. julianewus thread starter macrumors member

yea that's what I thought..... :/ oh well...

I am kinda OCD though, Im scared that when I buy it over in France, when I bring it back, it won't work :eek: even though apple's website says it will.

weird I know

9. draz macrumors 6502a

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

The only problem you'll encounter is if you have any problems with your phone and need to get it serviced by Apple you have to go back to the country you bought it from. ( Or so I've heard ).

11. FireSokar macrumors regular

It'll work and is actually pretty easy to do, I've bought Germany's HTC HD and it worked just fine.

12. draz macrumors 6502a

Yes this is true

13. julianewus thread starter macrumors member

....wait you cannot just bring it into your local apple store? or mail it to apple for service? I've never had a problem with my iphones in the past, but that would just be my luck to have it mess up the second I land back in the states.

14. draz macrumors 6502a

You can walk into any Apple store but your warranty (i think its 1yr) do not apply since you are not in the country of purchase. So any service that is required will need to be paid for ($199 i think?)

15. julianewus thread starter macrumors member

can you buy apple care for it when I get back to the states?:confused::confused::confused:

16. draz macrumors 6502a

17. julianewus thread starter macrumors member

so that knocks the repair thing out of the way right?